• Time
  • Show
Clear All

hp 8460p schematic please guys

anybody has this model? it has to be VERSION 2, Please guys

Re: hp 8460p schematic please guys

Is it this one?
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

thanks a lot buddy, but this is v.A01. completely different

Comment

ok so heres the problem with this laptop, maybe someone can give me some pointers:
        Laptop wont turn on at all, it shorts the adapter and it makes noises when you plug it into the jack. there this mosfet 331bqbd that gets really hot while plugged in, but i replaced and still the same thing.
        If the mosfet is removed the issue goes away. But since i dont have the schematic its hard to trace it. the motherboard model is 6050A2398501-A02.
        The mosfet in question is Q514.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Blacktek View Post
          ok so heres the problem with this laptop, maybe someone can give me some pointers:
          Laptop wont turn on at all, it shorts the adapter and it makes noises when you plug it into the jack. there this mosfet 331bqbd that gets really hot while plugged in, but i replaced and still the same thing.
          If the mosfet is removed the issue goes away. But since i dont have the schematic its hard to trace it. the motherboard model is 6050A2398501-A02.
          The mosfet in question is Q514.
          Have you metered on either side of the mosfet when removed for a short?

Diode/Beep Mode on a meter. Red probe on GND. Black probe on the points.

Find the short and inject a voltage on that rail at the same rated voltage. Use a power supply or bench top supply. This should make whatever is shorting it out HOT or blow it up.

Comment

Originally posted by BCConnectionLLC View Post
            Have you metered on either side of the mosfet when removed for a short?

Diode/Beep Mode on a meter. Red probe on GND. Black probe on the points.

Find the short and inject a voltage on that rail at the same rated voltage. Use a power supply or bench top supply. This should make whatever is shorting it out HOT or blow it up.
            And if he needs to supply i.e. 19v and the fault is a fet and this 19v end up to a chipset or even CPU, then what?
            Last edited by atsio; 06-07-2015, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by atsio View Post
              And if he needs to supply i.e. 19v and the fault is a fet and this 19v end up to a chipset or even CPU, then what?
              if the 19v line its shorted then it will short the adapter.

there are 2 cases in the forum with upper fets for cpu where bad and they turn off the adapter.

i think in this case its not the problem or not similar.
              Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

What I am saying is that you do not inject hi voltage (without controlling amps) to a board to check for shorts. You just inject slowly amps and 0,5 amp in most case is more than enough to show you what is getting hot.

Comment

Shorted CPUs must be a common thing for you because it seems to be your suggestion every time.

Although if you think injecting 19V on a 19V rail will blow up the CPU then I guess the CPU needs a better regulatory circuit on boards you work on. Its not like the main Power rail just feeds 19V to the CPU.

I do this because my power supply wont shut off because of a short. Unlike the adapter which protects itself.
                  Last edited by BCConnectionLLC; 06-08-2015, 08:29 AM.

Comment

I assume you end up with a lot of blown up boards

Comment

play nice kids! thank you guys i have a bad fet at the end of powerjack rail. i'll replace it and keep you guys posted

Comment

ok guys replaced it, and saw how beautiful caps blow, and tell you where problem is.. ..
                        It was shorted to ground at isl95831 at couple pins, once cap was replaced no short.
                        no i just have to test it but i have to find a processor first.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I assume you end up with a lot of blown up boards
                          Not a single blown up CPU yet. Crazy how buck converters and voltage sense systems work arent they?

Comment

I think I am not the only one saying this (from Elvikom's training thread)

"
                            There are two main points to notice when performing a short-test:
                            1. In case when heat can be felt on the core of either of the bridges or graphics card, short-test should be immediately stopped. In this cases usually one of the transistors working with the DC controller is shorted and there is a risk of connecting high e.g. 19V voltage directly to the bridge or graphics card which are usually powered by 1V to 5V voltage. In this case you can't tune up the voltage above value, which is normally operated in lower values (for example, for the 1,8V power rail you can tune up the voltage only to 1,8V value maximum!).

"
                            https://www.elvikom.pl/szkolenie-nr-...opow-t986.html

Comment

Where did I say inject 19V on a 1v or 5v rail?
                              I said inject 19v on the 19v main power rail that normally sees 19V...

If there was a short directly from 19V rail to the CPU then its already done its damage before you ever start testing.

Comment

Originally posted by BCConnectionLLC View Post
                                Where did I say inject 19V on a 1v or 5v rail?
                                I said inject 19v on the 19v main power rail that normally sees 19V...

If there was a short directly from 19V rail to the CPU then its already done its damage before you ever start testing.
                                You still do not get it. Usually the drain of upper fets on voltage regulators is on the 19v rail. If the fet is open and you inject 19v on the 19v rail, 19volts end up on the source rail of the fet (whatever volt is that).

Comment

You still do not get it. Usually the drain of upper fets on voltage regulators is on the 19v rail. If the fet is open and you inject 19v on the 19v rail, 19volts end up on the source rail of the fet (whatever volt is that).
                                  So to avoid this then you check the CPU voltage rail for a short or continuity through the FET. If its closed feed voltage. Also if the FET was already sending through 19v to the cpu to cause the short issue then the CPU is already done for. 19v at full amp draw on a 1.8V ine is going to destroy anything on the line quickly.
                                  Last edited by BCConnectionLLC; 06-24-2015, 05:24 PM.

Comment

You forget protection (found in most designs). 19 volt never reach this place when you are plugin the adapter.

Comment

do you mean like this? (see attachment)

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
                                      Well done.
                                      Also that is why I sometimes say to not apply more than 1v test when finding a short. There might be a shorted High Side MOSFET sending the test voltage directly to CPU, NB or GPU.
                                      its nice you share what you got from your knowledge
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by meritosari; 06-25-2015, 02:27 AM. Reason: qoute another thread

Comment

Originally posted by meritosari View Post
                                        do you mean like this? (see attachment)
                                        Yes, and even more dangerous having a half dead fet and testing it looks fine but when you apply high current-voltage dies completely.

Comment

Working...
                                        X