Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG OLED 55EC930V Horizontal flashing lines problems

Thank you for your gorgeous forum.

I have a LG OLED 55EC930V, that worked perfectly hanged on the wall for more than 5 years, now, after a initial screen dim for 30 seconds, I cycled power it, and now I have this strange problem that was filmed on this short youtube video.

https://youtu.be/vgF_kTjzEe8

Since the TV in background works, it respond to the remote normally, audio works, and after reading similar posts on this forum I understand it can be the TCON board (please help me to understand if it is a defective panel instead) I found two part numbers for this TV, one, the oldest version (6/2014) have a FPGA chip, the second one (11/2014) seems to have a custom chip instead.

Original part number: 6870C-0555A
    Possible improved (?) compatible part number: 6870C-0477C

With your kind help, I just want to understand:
    - If behavior in the video is a panel issue
    - If the problem caused, can be addressed by replacing the TCON, and if the "improved" TCON can be a better solution if compatible. (less heat)

Thank you very much for your time and your help!
    1. "improved" replacement found on ebay
    2. same model replacement fount on ebay
    3. original part
    4. back sticker
    Attached Files
    Last edited by maxino; 04-24-2020, 05:55 AM.

Re: LG OLED 55EC930V Horizontal flashing lines problems

Can you please post your images here .Click on the "Go Advanced" button, then "Manage Attachments" .
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

done, thank you!

Comment

Can you get the menu up?? If you can, turn off the Dynamic Contrast- Picture- Picture Mode Settings -Expert Control- Dynamic Contrast.
        Last edited by nomoresonys; 04-24-2020, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately, even if the flashing lines are currently part of the full image, is not possible to glimpse the menues options. But I'm almost certain I already disabled the dynamic contrast years ago. The lower part of the screen is ok for about 5cm, the rest is black with random noise lines, but them never appears in the same place.

https://youtu.be/vgF_kTjzEe8
          Last edited by maxino; 04-24-2020, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Ok, when you are trying to get the menu are all accessories hdmi rca etc unplugged so just the tv power cord is only thing hooked to tv?

Comment

There's an adjustment that can be made from the service menu but the service menu can be tricky to access.

Comment

yes, the power cord is the only thing connected
                I made a IR - wav cable in the past to disable the screen dimming during calibration, so I could eventually try to access the service menu.
                Last edited by maxino; 04-24-2020, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Most don't have a service remote, there's an andriod app that can get in, if you can get in go to OLED>TCP Enable set it to 0 and exit.

Comment

App is there: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id.lgsm2&hl=en

Comment

thank you, if TCP = ASBL (so it means the display auto dim after 60 sec of inactivity right?) it was already turned off years ago during a calibration session.

Comment

As far as I Know, TCP has to be disabled in the service menu, is that where you disabled it from?

Comment

Yes, I disabled it using a IR led connected to a 2.5mm jack, then played a special wav sound with a laptop with the TV off, and the Service Menu appeared. Then disabled the TCP, I'm sure I archived a picture of the screen somewhere.... trying to find it.

Comment

Ok, looks good, must be some other issue. Don't know unless a factory reset or firmware update may have reset it??
                            Last edited by nomoresonys; 04-24-2020, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Good point, I'll try to enter the Service menu again, but I'm not sure I can blindly reach this option with the screen in these conditions.

Comment

Ok, this is what I got with the IR-WAV interface, unfortunately impossible to navigate in the menu...
                                Attached Files

Comment

this thread might be somewhat "equivalent" if you look at his last picture of what the panel is doing... almost the same kind of "linings" but in reverse video (ie. white background). Poster indicates a shorted panel. :-(

Comment

Maybe try the disconnect one or two ribbon cables from the tcon to panel test, one side at a time and see if you get half a proper display(always disconnect and reconnect cables with tv unplugged from power)

Comment

OLED tvs seem to have lots of panel problems, seems like the technology as it progresses is getting more unreliable. What I see, CRT tv very reliable but not the greatest picture quality, then going downhill in order lcd not too bad, led constant backlight problems mostly, oled great picture quality but panel and constant picture issues banding artifacting etc. Left out plasmas, the first plasmas I came across had 3 or 4 very noisy fans so never was interested in owning one.
                                      Last edited by nomoresonys; 04-25-2020, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                                        this thread might be somewhat "equivalent" if you look at his last picture of what the panel is doing... almost the same kind of "linings" but in reverse video (ie. white background). Poster indicates a shorted panel. :-(
                                        you mean this one?
                                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...hlight=lg+oled

- since the last pictures in my opinion is not a picture of the panel, I glimpse something at the bottom like a metal frame
                                        - moreover, the lines are moving fast on my set, and they are part of the current picture, so strange behavior
                                        Last edited by maxino; 04-26-2020, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X