This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

we have the build quality pictorial, but i'm thinking a montage of just pure destruction, missing parts, etc.

post pics of the WORST power supplies!

ps- i partially doing for a friend who im trying to get to quit using A-POWER... he might need some nasty pics to convince him of what he is doing to his customers.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

Here's an SP-350 with busted caps (a very common sight on these forums). Unlike I'm used to on Smartpowers, this one had tiny 330uF primaries, rather than the usual 680uF. Both of them were bloated, as well as the standby caps.
    Attached Files
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I had some Deer DR-250ATX POS boxes....but I gave them to a friend. I heard he poured petrol inside them and had a little pyro fun

Comment

I bet the caps would have all exploded (Primaries usually make the biggest bang when I put them in fire)!

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

are you sure that is safe... those primaries are like little grenades...
          sigpic

Comment

too bad i tossed several that would have been the poster child of junk psu's.
            its all been posted before.tossed 3 okia's yesterday and i think the metal junkers already grabbed them off the loading dock.

Comment

http://www.powsun.com/pcpower_newmicro.htm

There, have a look at all of leadman's psu's. They even took the covers off for ya.

http://www.powsun.com/pcpower_8868.htm

Look at that one, just jumper through one primary cap, and put a 400v, 100uf fake UCC in there.

http://www.powsun.com/pcpower_8869.htm

That one is actually quite impressive for a leadman.
              Last edited by 370forlife; 12-19-2009, 04:00 PM.

Comment

LOL what's this?

http://www.powsun.com/pcpower_wangba.htm

see last photo!

Comment

http://www.powsun.com/pcpower_8868two.htm
                  WTF is this?!

Comment

The epitome of cheap.

Comment

gotta love the one with the no roach label!

Comment

Originally posted by cheese007

Originally posted by kc8adu
                        gotta love the one with the no roach label!

Last edited by ratdude747; 12-19-2009, 06:28 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

wow look at those amperage ratings. I wonder how many companies rebrand that exact unit as a 600W.

Comment

I Just found the best site for pics burned/blown computer parts

http://www.halfdone.com/Personal/Job...and_Exploding/

Has pics of busted caps as well as burned PSUs, motherboards etc.

Comment

nice link!
                              sigpic

Comment

oklahoma wolf posted a couple that should be here:

antec TPQ 1200W

blown after re-soldering components

Originally posted by Oklahoma Wolf
                                For those interested in pics of what happened after I got it back together:

Third one from the left blew first, the rest followed.

Damage to main filter cap.

If you look closely at the center of the pic, you will see a blown apart SMD transistor and a fried SMD resistor near it. There's another blown SMD transistor on the right side of the pic.
                                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                                  blown after re-soldering components
                                  It took long term heating with a 60W iron to even desolder those parts during disassembly - methinks the SMD parts nearby didn't appreciate that.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747

Compare that 250W Powsun to a 90W Delta/Newton:

Comment

Originally posted by Oklahoma Wolf
                                      It took long term heating with a 60W iron to even desolder those parts during disassembly - methinks the SMD parts nearby didn't appreciate that.
                                      smd components simply do not belong in power supplies... this is why. too many large components. the right way would have been old skool though-hole parts.
                                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by larrymoencurly
                                        Compare that 250W Powsun to a 90W Delta/Newton:

To be fair, that one is actually rated for 150w (the label pictured is from another PSU on that site), but still...

Comment

Working...
                                        X