Recapped BP6 and HPT366 issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recapped BP6 and HPT366 issue

So I'm an owner of a BP6 and it was in fantastic condition, with none of the original capacitors showing any signs of failure. But one day a year or so back, it failed to Post, after working fine just a few hours earlier.

So I did the usual, swapped all the components etc. etc. to no avail. So I boxed it up and thought I'd deal with it another day.

About a month back i recapped the board with Rubycon caps all of the ratings as per this site, but still to no avail. No post.

So I bought some SST BIOS chips that were of similar spec to the winbond one used on the BP6. I programmed one with the official Abit bios, and it also verified good, so I plugged it in, still not expecting much, and voila, it POST'd.

So now I've bought it back from the dead, the issue i've now found is that with a hard drive plugged in to the onboard hpt366 ide controller, if freezes on the hpt bios screen. no hard is detected. use the standard ide sockets and all is fine. Can anybody help?

Re: Recapped BP6 and HPT366 issue

Originally posted by browny1978 View Post
    programmed one with the official Abit bios
    Perhaps try later BIOS version

Text file out of attached Zip mentions later versions of HPT366 controller embedded within Abit version RU BIOS
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Sorry, forgot to mention I've tried a few different bios's and hard drives. same happens on all of them.

Comment

Revert to original Winbond chip ??

Some BIOS change logs (not necessarily Abit) mention supporting different chips, so something subtle may be going on in your case
        better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

It wouldnt surprise me. Unfortunately my USB programmer didnt support the winbond chip, so I took a punt on the SST chips, as I've used SST before. I'll probably need to buy a TL866 programmer then.

Comment

Have you tried replacing EC32?
            Main rig:
            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
            Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
            16GB DDR3-1600
            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
            FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
            120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
            Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
              Have you tried replacing EC32?

Nope, only replaced the capacitors.

Comment

I mentioned EC32 (it's also a lytic) as it's in close vicinity of the HPT366, and may be also the reason why your BP6 freezes when trying to access the HPT controller. I remember recapping my Soyo 6BA+IV with Panasonic caps around the HPT controller (also a 366) just so I don't let the original WENDELL caps do any weird juju (like freezing on the HPT BIOS) on my board.

That, and I also would like to know, is the HPT BIOS by any chance the one with a blue background? If so, that one shouldn't have any 40GB HDD limit on it. Maybe 128GB but I doubt it.
                Main rig:
                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                16GB DDR3-1600
                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                Delux MG760 case

Comment

OK. I've tried different bios's with different hpt366 embedded bios's to no avail.

Comment

Originally posted by browny1978 View Post
                    USB programmer didnt support the winbond chip
                    Have you tried programming Winbond, using settings for SST on your programmer?

Comment

The original usb programmer I used didn't give you the option. You plugged it in, it identified it, and then you pressed write to program it. I've just got a Tl866ii+ and that does allow me to choose the exact chip. But although it's flashed correctly. The win bond chip doesn't post still. I do have another chip on order just in case the chip is faulty.

Comment

Working...
                      X