Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell Optiplex 760, uSFF - possible BIOS issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Optiplex 760, uSFF - possible BIOS issue?

We have 3 of these 760 uSFF boxes with what seems the same issue. One of them went bad about 6 months ago, and the other 2 went bad about 4 weeks ago during a power cut, don't know if that was a coincidence or not.

Anyway, to describe the problem, the boxes will begin to boot, but just reach a point with a flashing cursor, or if you try to enter setup (F2) same thing. If you press F12 for a boot menu, you get the boot menu, can select boot device, or setup, diagnostics, etc., but when you press enter, the boxes just hang there. You end up having to press the power button to switch it off, but sometimes even that doesn't work, you have to pull the power plug.

The 3 LEDs for the diagnostics are 1,2,3 with steady green on the power button, according to the manual "Another failure has occurred."

We had 3 760s that were used elsewhere that we have been able to reuse to replace the 3 faulty ones, but have no more if these 3 working ones go down. They are used with some scientific instruments, from a few years back, so are running XP and Vista (or Win8), and would like to keep it that way as sometimes upgrading OS means upgrading software, which means money, if even possible, sometimes you can't even get new software for some instruments. So I'm looking to see if these faulty boxes can be revived to keep things simple, as it's just a hard drive swap if the box goes bad.

So I was wondering if anyone ever had luck restoring the BIOS on these Dells, particularly the uSFFs? It seems the BIOS was never upgraded on these boxes, the initial boot up text says A00, last version appears to be A16.

Any help or recommendations greatly appreciated.

Re: Dell Optiplex 760, uSFF - possible BIOS issue?

so why dont u flash it? flash bios is easy and cheap. mostly it is first thing to do

Comment

The BIOS updater is run from Windows, and the PC isn't booting that far, so it would probably need to be flashed with the BIOS chip off the board? Not something I've done before, and don't really know where to start. But willing to learn. I'll see what I can dig out.

Comment

bios programmer cost 2eur

Comment

Working...
        X