X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
    I'd have to look myself. depends on if the traces were yanked as well and if so, how much of them is left. If there was enough trace left it would be fixable but a challenge at the very least.

Either way, free is free.
    yep. they were pulled off when she tried to open it up im not sure if she ended up ripping off the traces didnt have very good light.
    My Computer.
    AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
    Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
    Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
    500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
    1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
    2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Originally posted by Phaihn View Post
      yep. they were pulled off when she tried to open it up im not sure if she ended up ripping off the traces didnt have very good light.
      TBH, if you don't care for the trackpad, I'd let it be and hang on to the connector. It's kinda like my Old Latitude D400's half-bused modem conenctor (not the jack, but a 2 pin SMD connector)... it was busted when I got the replacement mobo for it... so I just pulled the modem and the modem wiring from it. The chances of me needing a modem were nil so it was no issue to me.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

TBH, if you don't care for the trackpad, I'd let it be and hang on to the connector. It's kinda like my Old Latitude D400's half-bused modem conenctor (not the jack, but a 2 pin SMD connector)... it was busted when I got the replacement mobo for it... so I just pulled the modem and the modem wiring from it. The chances of me needing a modem were nil so it was no issue to me.

yeah that what i said pretty much i picked up a wireless mouse for it today.
        My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

Now that I look closer at the pics, yup, the traces went. The only way to fix that would be to tie into the vias and splice there... which I have tried before and may or may not have been successful with. It's very very hard at the least.
          sigpic

Comment

Now that I look closer at the pics, yup, the traces went. The only way to fix that would be to tie into the vias and splice there... which I have tried before and may or may not have been successful with. It's very very hard at the least.
            yeah just as i thott would be too much risk to try to fix wouldnt want to have to buy new motherboard for it.
            My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

I recently got an old pentium 4 system that my friend was going to toss. Found a nice GeForce 5300 FX AGP card in it, but the fan was busted, so after a quick replacement, it was humming happily in my other P4 machine.

Comment

I must say my best find were Cerwin Vega E-715s WITH the cloth covers.

The only thing wrong was scratchy pots....otherwise they worked and sounded awesome

Comment

Two years ago I was staying up in Fairbanks, Alaska. They have several of what's called 'Transfer Stations' located around town which are just big public lots with 50 or so dumpsters where everyone goes to dump their trash. One day, backed up to a dumpster and inside were 5 Dell GX series computers with HDDs, Optical drvs, etc. Grabbed 'em. Got them all running a few days later and donated them to a local non-profit.

Also found a Samsung 22" monitor in excellent condition. Looked to me that it had failed early in it's life and the owner just tossed it. Plugged it in, and the screen was flashing. Opened it up and found 2 bulged caps in the power section. Replaced 5 caps from my own stock (cost around $5) and it's been running fine ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    I've had my 955df for almost 3 years now. Got it free off of Craigslist (I could have actually taken another one from the same person, but I don't know why I didn't... still feel bad about that one because it probably got thrown away). I have put over 1500 hours on it since. Still works great, though. Most excellent focus I have seen from a CRT!

Not to mention that my room heats up to close to 28-29C (about 82F) in the summer. The back on my 955df gets scorching hot. It usually crackes for 30 minutes like a hot car engine after it has been turned off, so it definitely must be getting toasty on the inside. Yet it hasn't died, so I think the Koreans did an okay job with this one. The 997df seems to be of the same age so it will probably be just as good.
                    Thats great news I really love mine so far, i pushed it to 1920x1440, but i think the sweet spot is 1600x1200. Crts are great for games really fast response time and free anti aliasing
                    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Yah, CRT is what I use for gaming. LCD is nice for CAD though.
                      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                        Thats great news I really love mine so far, i pushed it to 1920x1440, but i think the sweet spot is 1600x1200. Crts are great for games really fast response time and free anti aliasing
                        1600x1200 is nice for games, but I wouldn't use that resolution in Windows. Things (especially text) become too small IMO. I'm running mine at 1024x768 @ 85 Hz. It looks even better and more crisp on 1152x864, but I have to drop the refresh rate to 75 Hz. I rather have 85 Hz at a lower resolution that a higher resolution at lower refresh rate. I'm guessing yours probably has no problem doing 75 Hz on 1600x1200.

Yeah, I love the bit about free anti-aliasing as well. Most games look fine to me even when ran at 800x600, as long as it's on a CRT. Put them on an LCD and they look like crap. Heck, even at the LCD's native resolution they still look bad.

Comment

Picked up a like-new HP Laserjet M1319f MFP for $5. It even had HP branded toner in it.

All my stuff uses that same toner cartridge, so at the least its a spare printer with a copier and faxed added on.
                          sigpic

Comment

pioneer sa-7100 curbshopped.
                            still in its box and looks new.

Comment

Found these on the side of the road. Amazingly both work except for the balance knob.
                              Attached Files

Comment

How the hell do you guys find this stuff? I go to thrift shops and yard sales and find diddly squat.

Comment

Got a free 40 inch LCD LG TV and 2 computers TV psu or motherboard had bad caps and psu in one of the computers has badcaps.
                                  My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

40" LG? Lucky bastard!

All I got was an el-cheapo Generic 26" with bad caps...
                                    sigpic

Comment

40" lg? Lucky bastard!

All i got was an el-cheapo generic 26" with bad caps...
                                      My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

Better than nothing!
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

once you get out there and network with folks the stuff will start coming to you.
                                          big thrift stores sometimes have good stuff if you look.dug a yaesu vx-1r out of a box of chearp frs radios last week.
                                          cost me $1 and it works after i made up a charger for it.a105 firmware so easy to mod too.
                                          i also have a guy who gets impounded cars to dispose of.
                                          he wants audio and cb stuff.he dumps off pickup loads of stuff for me to test and clean up,repair if worthwhile,ect.
                                          if it is a amateur(ham) rig i get it.he got some huge competition grade setup out of a "drugdealermobile"
                                          car was actually nice other than the goofy paintjob and wheels.
                                          amongst the stuff he removes to make it ready to sell was a kenwood ts-50 and a ameritron als-500.so i will score big on this one!
                                          Originally posted by twbranch View Post
                                          How the hell do you guys find this stuff? I go to thrift shops and yard sales and find diddly squat.

Comment

Working...
                                          X