cap leg broke off from cap and stuck in through-hole :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cap leg broke off from cap and stuck in through-hole :(

i was trying to desolder ost junk caps at the cpu vrm out area from an asus p4c800-e deluxe board. the problem is that a couple of the ost junk caps came out but without their legs. the legs were stuck in the through-hole of the board. i managed to pull some of them out with pliers on one hand and soldering iron on the other hand but now only one is left.

this one is too short to grip with pliers. i tried pushing a sewing needle through one side and soldering iron on the other but the leg is just stuck fast inside the through-hole and wont bulge. if i use too much force, the sewing needle just bends sideways because its too thin. its a 0.6mm wide through-hole for mounting 8mm diameter caps. wasted an entire day with it! any ideas?

Re: cap leg broke off from cap and stuck in through-hole

Try putting more solder on the joint and try your needle and see if you can push it through

But when you are trying take out component off of a board you need to be a little bit careful when you wiggle the component not to put much force to it when the solder melts the component will move freely on the one side

You might need to put more heat to the solder joints when you have a ground plane it will take a lot more heat

One thing that helps is if you have Desoldiering Gun and a temperature controlled heat gun will help a lot
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 11-01-2019, 04:35 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
    X