Finally built the Bob Parker "Blue" ESR Meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finally built the Bob Parker "Blue" ESR Meter

I measure around 10mA idling, 25mA when testing, and under 0.1uA when off. It's a 5V device with LP2950 LDO (max. 30V in) and extra BJT power switch.
    Most important is the test current can be a decent 50mA narrow pulse (low average though) so it's not easily fooled.

Here's some 4,700uF caps I tested with it and AN8008 readings for the laugh.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by redwire; 03-22-2022, 10:54 AM.

Comment

so probably 15-18 hours of use on a full 500ma charge, not bad

Comment

I saw spikes of around 35mA but about 12mA idle and 25-28 with the leads shorted or while testing a capacitor.
        Attached Files
        --------------------------------------------------------------
        Ryzen 3600x
        16GB Patriot 3600MHz
        MSI B450 Gaming Plus
        MSI Air Boost Vega 56
        Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
        Rosewill Capstone 750W
        --------------------------------------------------------------
        Hakko FX-888D Station
        FX-8802 Iron
        MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Parker View Post
          So far I haven't heard of even one microcontroller failure due to connecting the Blue meter to charged high voltage capacitors. In fact the late John Bachman at Anatek who I collaborated with actually tried connecting one of the meters to bigger and more highly charged capacitors until it started blowing tracks off the PCB, but the microcontroller survived.

I only designed the ESR meter to help with my own repairs. I submitted it to a local magazine as a construction project, and the editor gave me a look like "Why would anyone want to measure a capacitor attribute which no one has ever heard of?". But kit sales just exploded and have stayed high for 1/4 of a century.

I'm sure that Andy at Alltronics who makes the kits now would help out if anyone needed a replacement microcontroller IC. He's that kinda guy.
          Blowing tracks off the PCB Wow! You had the hindsight to use special fusible link tracks! That meter was over engineered .Lol

Cool story on the magazine construction project! I bet that editor understood a lot more about your project when your kit sales took off.

Glad you have a such a good guy as Andy making up the kits for you and I feel a lot better about the longevity of my blue after reading your posts!

Thank`s for all the information Bob and thank`s again for making the Blue!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjr1105 View Post
            I saw spikes of around 35mA but about 12mA idle and 25-28 with the leads shorted or while testing a capacitor.
            Thanks for the measurements. I don't actually have a Blue meter with me, and I was quoting the figures for the original Dick Smith ESR meter. I kinda forgot that the blue LEDs with their higher voltage drop reduce the meter's current consumption.
            It is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly...

Comment

Originally posted by volkswagenvan View Post
              Blowing tracks off the PCB Wow! You had the hindsight to use special fusible link tracks! That meter was over engineered .Lol

Cool story on the magazine construction project! I bet that editor understood a lot more about your project when your kit sales took off.

Glad you have a such a good guy as Andy making up the kits for you and I feel a lot better about the longevity of my blue after reading your posts!

Thank`s for all the information Bob and thank`s again for making the Blue!
              You're the first person who's noticed the thinner "fusible" PCB track. 👍 Andy's doing his own thing with the Blue meters. My only involvement now is supporting people who build them and have a problem, and pop up on the Alltronics discussion forum.

The editor quickly found out what the ESR meter was designed for, and even did a little article about getting one of the Dick Smith meters and using it!

None of us ever expected it to become well known. It's been a surprising 26 year long "journey". 🙀

Comment

None of us ever expected it to become well known. It's been a surprising 26 year long "journey". ��
                I`m sure it will be around another 26+ years to come!
                Last edited by Per Hansson; 04-10-2023, 02:03 AM. Reason: Fixed quote

Comment

None of us ever expected it to become well known. It's been a surprising 26 year long "journey". 🙀
                  Originally posted by volkswagenvan View Post
                  I`m sure it will be around another 26+ years to come!
                  That's if the Zilog microcontroller chips are still available. They're already being called "vintage" by some people.
                  Last edited by Per Hansson; 04-10-2023, 02:05 AM. Reason: Fixed quote

Comment

They're already being called "vintage" by some people.
                    Lol, So am I !
                    Last edited by Per Hansson; 04-10-2023, 02:01 AM. Reason: Fixed quote

Comment

I have had mine for many years now and it still works very well in fact I just bought another one recently I going to take the first one and change it to run on 5 volts so when I check a lot of caps I do not have to keep turning it back on all the time

I also bought the ring tester as well and several times it saved my a** when trying to figure out why a switching power supply transformer end up being shorted and that why it was blowing the main fuse
                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-25-2022, 01:14 AM.
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply
                      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

i built that ring tester on stripboard - couldnt have done without it fixing crt tv's/monitors!

Comment

Working...
                        X