Quanta ZB1 discrete to UMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quanta ZB1 discrete to UMA

Just a quick write-up on a conversion I performed recently on Quanta ZB1 board from an Acer Aspire 5672WLMi (Aspire 5670 series).
    Ati Mobility Radeon X1400 dGPU died while installing Linux, it froze and then after rebooting I had a white screen with some lines. External display on VGA was mostly working but with some vertical bars on some screens.

So went on to convert to iGPU. Main point is that the MCH is a 945PM, so without integrated GPU. It must be replaced with a 945GM GMCH.
    After replacement, dGPU will still be used by default so you can confirm the machine still POSTs.

You need to populate the BOM option IV@ in the schematics: RP51, RP60, R469-R471, R160, R468, R472, R473, R180, R181, R185, R186.

When there is an alternative between IV@ and EV@, you need to populate IV@ and depopulate EV@: R_PCLK_SIO, TV_Y/G, TV_C/R, TV_COMP, VGA_RED, VGA_GRN, VGA_BLU, VSYNC, HSYNC, CRTDCLK, CRTDDAT, PU16 #1/2, LVDS_BLON, LVDS_DIGON, TXUCLKOUT, TXUOUT2, TXUOUT1, TXUOUT0, TXLOUT0, TXLOUT1, TXLOUT2, TXLCLKOUT.

Finally, Q32 and Q33 must be removed for proper detection of the internal panel.

Having a donor board with a 945GM will help for the odd-valued resistors.

Note that DVI will not work since there's no direct connection between the DVI port and the GMCH, it goes through a CH7307C display controller which is not populated. You could probably populate that circuit if you really needed DVI but I left it out.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by piernov; 07-25-2022, 09:09 AM.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Re: Quanta ZB1 discrete to UMA

Thanks for the info but surprised you put up so much labour in converting this very old machine.

Comment

Re: Quanta ZB1 discrete to UMA

My only purpose in life is to save these machine from going to the landfill. Most of the stuff I fix is like that, on my spare time with my own money.
      And they're also often pretty beaten up, you don't see the other hours of work cleaning it and putting it back together properly with 3 times as many screws as it had when I got it, so that it looks half decent, fixing ripped off components and superglued connector and other stuff while I'm at it.
      There are still a few things not quite right, but at least with a Core 2 Duo T5500 and 2GB RAM upgrade it can be used for lightweight office work.
      Last edited by piernov; 07-25-2022, 09:22 AM.
      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Working...
      X