Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought some cheap solder, More like chalk.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought some cheap solder, More like chalk.

Well, I bought some solder off ebay as i needed some badly, i tried using it yesterday and it takes ages to melt, and when it does melt it looks more like a soft chalk than molten solder. Is this my crap soldering iron or crap solder?

My iron melts solder thats on various boards when removing badcaps and stuff.

Here is what i bought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2808124688...84.m1439.l2649
    Do NOT touch heatsinks when testing for voltages as they may be LIVE!

Re: Bought some cheap solder, More like chalk.

I can't make out the description on the packaging, so I can't tell the composition of the solder. Since you are in the UK, it is probably lead free solder. However, it is my understanding that you can buy 60/40 solder if you choose to.

I have had positive/negative experiences with "sort by lowest price" cheap solder on ebay. The first 2 that I got were 60/40 solder and they were awesome. Then after watching the 3 eevblog part series on soldering, I went with thinner solder and 63/37. I regret that decision. It could be just the cheap ebay solder, but it is nowhere near as good as my original 60/40.

In fact, I'm running out of the 60/40 and need to find a good replacement.

I invested in a Hakko FX888 so I know it is not the soldering iron. I set it to 350C and have a 1.6mm and 3.2mm chisel tip.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Friend gave me some more solder, its like a dream to use compared to that ebay stuff.

Would be more at home in a welder than using as solder.
      Do NOT touch heatsinks when testing for voltages as they may be LIVE!

Comment

It may be lead-free, which melts at a higher temp than the non-PC stuff, and can have a duller appearance.

My fervent wish is for the RoHS lead-banning envirocrats to find their lives dependent on medical equipment built with their lead-free PC solder!
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

It's just the particular solder retiredcaps, decent 63/37 is even easier to work with than 60/40. Everyone has their own preferences for solder, especially some exotic stuff praised in audiophile circles, but I only buy Kester. Pity it tripled in price compared to a few years back, Digikey now wants FIFTY FOUR (!!!) dollars and up for a 1lb spool of # 285

MPJA has some 44 series 1lb. 60/40 for $25. http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=19101+TL
          Last edited by 999999999; 10-21-2012, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gilly1984 View Post
            Well, I bought some solder off ebay as i needed some badly, i tried using it yesterday and it takes ages to melt, and when it does melt it looks more like a soft chalk than molten solder. Is this my crap soldering iron or crap solder?
            Probably the solder since you say your soldering iron works fine.
            That said, the solder you got is likely either lead-free or lacks a flux core (or both ).

I would suggest to let your iron heat up very well (if not temperature regulated), otherwise set it to 320 to 350C. If the solder still looks bad when you apply it on a joint, try adding some flux (both liquid and paste are fine) to the joint prior to adding the solder.

I have a spool of some type of lead-free solder. It's very thick and lacks a flux core. Impossible to put on joints if I don't use flux. I think it's for plumbing. Says 95/Tin, 5/Ant. wire.... I'm guessing that means 95% Tin and 5% Antimony? Anyways, with flux, it works very well and I've used it for many repairs now.

I think flux and lots of heat is all you may need to make your solder work well... Unless the Chinese have figured a way to make solder out of chalk, that is .

Comment

Working...
            X