I broke the led indicator.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I broke the led indicator.

I just got done recapping the dell e196fpf monitor and when I went to test it, I was searching for the power button on this flimsy piece of shit pcb and now the led doesn't work, buttons work but green/amber non-functional, monitor works though. Thing is freaking tiny. It's surface mounted led array pad.

Is there a way to fix or replace the broken led array?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mad_Professor; 10-27-2012, 04:24 PM.

Re: I broke the led indicator.

I managed to remove it and using the DMM diode setting to test it, it does not work. Then I took a 3.5mm green LED use the diode setting to make sure it would light and it does. THen I got the idea to jury rigged it and to where I traced it back on the switch board then bridged the ground to one of the holes on the pcb. The led lights up then I disabled the monitor on my computer to put it into sleep mode and test the amber and it lights up too, so I need a new LED array I think I found the correct one since it matches the width and length.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...44CT-ND/341198

What do you guys think?

Comment

I got the replacement L.E.Ds today and that was the most difficult repair I have ever done. But I did it.

L:1.6mm x W:1.25mm H:0.55mm
      Attached Files

Comment

Fair play mate, I'd never have had the patience.
        Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

Tiny SMDs are tiny
          As long as they have only 2 pins, they're easy, though.
          I had to solder a 4-way SMD resistor array in a similar size before - what a PAIN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            Tiny SMDs are tiny
            As long as they have only 2 pins, they're easy, though.
            I had to solder a 4-way SMD resistor array in a similar size before - what a PAIN!!!
            YES this was a pain in the ass.

This was a bi-color led, so I had green and amber to solder. Easiest way was to get a blob of solder on both pads and led pads then used desoldering braid to remove the excess, what ever is left is under the led and surface pads. Looks clean too. To confirm you have a good connection, my DMM on diode setting puts 3.2vdc out. So it was simple black to ground, and red to pin out to confirm I have a good connection via the LED lighting up.
            Last edited by Mad_Professor; 11-03-2012, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
              Easiest way was to get a blob of solder on both pads and led pads then used desoldering braid to remove the excess, what ever is left is under the led and surface pads. Looks clean too.
              That's a nice bit of information. I have never used desoldering braid before, but this is a good reason to try it.

Comment

Working...
              X