Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netgear JFS524 24 ports switch *Defective Ports*

Hi everyone,

I had a Netgear ProSafe 24 ports 10/100 Switch, model # JFS524 that has some network connections is defective. I would like to know if i can repair or change some parts on the board to recover my switch.

I had took some pictures of the motherboard here they are:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: I fully tested the switch; and here the ports that don't work.

PORT #17 always ON light 1 of 2 (Light 1 is LINK/ACT)

Port #2,
    Port #17
    Port #18
    not working at all.

All the other ports is working.

I can took electronics microscope of some parts if needed. I had an 2MP microscope 1080P.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 8ternity; 01-09-2015, 09:15 AM.

Re: Netgear JFS524 24 ports switch *Defective Ports*

Is it possible those ports took a hit? Like lightning or other surge? The protectors for those may have a short. I have a xyzel gs1100 in similar state. I have not figured it out yet. Also check for any bad solder joints running from those ports back to the IC.

Comment

@tester272001;

Im not sure what happen to this switch. Think that has shorted on defective cables, or a newbie connect a tested on a connection and damaged something.

Im asking to know if it was damaged, which part need to be replaced. I can check with microscope for shorts, or change the damaged parts.

Normally what part get broken when an short in a cable is happened?

Thanks.

Comment

I would check the FC-638L components (there are 12 - 1 for every 2 ports) and compare to a working one. My guess is that a couple of the ports that are bad have shorted windings due to a surge. The datasheet for them are available on-line here: http://datasheet.seekic.com/pdfimage...nologypdf0.jpg
        I had a switch that was shorted due to lightning strike before and would not work. When I pulled the transformer/protector that switch came to life. I never fixed it since it was an experiment. I have no idea where you could get the parts if you find one is defective. They are mfg. in China. Good luck and let us know what you find
        Last edited by tester272001; 01-10-2015, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Agreed. Remove the pulse transformers for the non-working ports and check for problems. Every similar device uses these parts so you can get lots of them from any junk box. If the transformers are OK, then the switch is not repairable unless you love changing IC's.
          Is it plugged in?

Comment

Unless you have parts on hand I don't think I would fix it. Have you looked at what these are going for on ebay? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NetGear-ProS...item3cf001866d

You could upgrade to gigabit for not much more: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LINKSYS-CISC...item339b9d2472 Look at sold listings for these and similar items.
            Last edited by Uniballer; 01-12-2015, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Probably not worth the trouble. But if you are eager to just try fixing it you can always order a few from here:
              http://uk.alibaba.com/product/826352...W-FC-638L.html
              I bet they are cheap as dirt. Essentially an obsolete part for 10/100 speeds.
              Good luck, and tell use what you wind up doing.

Comment

Easiest way should be to do comparison tests. Compare the transformers for open\short and check those SMD capacitors next to each port too.. Compare resistances when off, voltages when on, etc.
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                X