"Kemo" Electrolytic capacitors from Maplin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Kemo" Electrolytic capacitors from Maplin

Has anyone had these caps before? There are no reviews on the Maplin site but bought a couple of "lucky bags" for testing purposes. Not expecting Rubycon quality but was interested because I can't find anything about them online. The company seems to be German.. but I suspect they are probably buying Chinese caps and relabelling them?
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/electrolyt...ucky-bag-n26bg

Asked a Maplin CC agent and they said they haven't had any complaints.. but with no reviews that sounds a bit bs.

Cheers!

Re: "Kemo" Electrolytic capacitors from Maplin

They are new to Maplins, they weren't listed last time i checked their website a month or so ago.

Have you got an ESR meter to test them ?

Comment

Maybe this company
      http://www.kemo-electronic.de/en/Com...-50-pieces.php

Comment

It looks like Kemo is an OEM brand, some electronics shop or small company making kits of components and selling them through Maplin.

A bunch of capacitors in that bag are made by Yageo, some are Panasonic (vent shape, the M with rounded corners), if they're genuine the kit may have some value. Panasonic does very good capacitors, Yageo does OK capacitors, but both companies have whole ranges of capacitors, some more suited for a purpose than others.

However, I see some of the larger capacitors are only rated for 85c which means they're some standard average capacitors, not really suited for fixing switching power supplies commonly found in computers or monitors. The smaller ones may be more adequate but again, without knowing the exact series of capacitors to check the datasheets, I can't say for sure.

So I'd say such bags would be more suited for fixing old CRT TVs, radios, some other more classic circuits, prototyping things on breadboards as a hobby, and maybe you could even use capacitors inside to fix something for short term (a few hours or days) until you can use proper capacitors.
        Last edited by mariushm; 04-11-2015, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Not yet but I was going to buy one this weekend. Any cheap suggestions?

Originally posted by diif View Post
          They are new to Maplins, they weren't listed last time i checked their website a month or so ago.

Have you got an ESR meter to test them ?
          Yea saw that.. German company but I don't think they make them!!

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
          Good to know.
          Yes I was thinking exactly the same thing about using them as temporary test caps before investing in good ones.
          When I get them ill post a list of what I got! Never know might get some goodies.

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
          It looks like Kemo is an OEM brand, some electronics shop or small company making kits of components and selling them through Maplin.

A bunch of capacitors in that bag are made by Yageo, some are Panasonic (vent shape, the M with rounded corners), if they're genuine the kit may have some value. Panasonic does very good capacitors, Yageo does OK capacitors, but both companies have whole ranges of capacitors, some more suited for a purpose than others.

However, I see some of the larger capacitors are only rated for 85c which means they're some standard average capacitors, not really suited for fixing switching power supplies commonly found in computers or monitors. The smaller ones may be more adequate but again, without knowing the exact series of capacitors to check the datasheets, I can't say for sure.

So I'd say such bags would be more suited for fixing old CRT TVs, radios, some other more classic circuits, prototyping things on breadboards as a hobby, and maybe you could even use capacitors inside to fix something for short term (a few hours or days) until you can use proper capacitors.

Thanks all!!

Comment

a surplus reseller like poly paks?

Comment

Working...
            X