Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK to replace inductor with solder blob?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK to replace inductor with solder blob?

Picked up some stuff that came with a Leadtek WinFast A250 LE TD.. That's a GF4 Ti4200 for those who can't decode Leadtek model numbering...

Anyway, I was told it "only worked sometimes" - Tried it and it did nothing. black screen but no beeps.

On inspection I found a leaky GSC which I replaced with a Nichicon, but still we had nothing doing.

Closer inspection revealed that L809 was missing... Couldn't think of anything else to try so I just replaced it with some solder.

The card now appears to work fine (Or at least in live Kubuntu 8.10 anyway)

Do you think what I have done is OK? I'd try and find a replacement if I knew what value it was - but that might be just a little bit tricky..
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Re: OK to replace inductor with solder blob?

What kind of inductor it is? wound bobbin? Or just a "bar of dark grey" with solder on ends?

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Going by the size of the pads and the other Lxxx components on the board, I assume it would be a bar of dark grey like the rest, with no markings.

I don't have the original inductor, I got the card with it missing (and I presume why I was told it didn't work properly)
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

Does the card give you stability issues when it's under stress? If not, then it's likely to be fine.

Of course if you wanted to, you can always find a copper wire as thick as in the other inductors (or thicker if you want), wind it a few turns around something round (roughly about the same size as the other inductors), remove the copper wire from it carefully and solder the two ends of the copper wire to the PCB. It wouldn't be as good as the other inductors, but it's better than a jumper/ solder blob.

Comment

The card has been running seemingly 100% stable so far all day (I'm just about to test it by replaying Prince of Persia - Sands of Time for a while)

it would be impossible to wind my own inductor of the correct value

As you can see from the photos I have attached - you can get an idea of the size by looking at the smallest one in the first picture - the 2nd picture shows by way of x-ray how these are constructed...
          Attached Files
          -David VanHorn

Comment

got a air2pc atsc tuner card for $1 at a hamfest.
            had a inductor like that knocked off.no +5 to the broadcom nic chip=no workie.i took a similar part from a junk mobo and its working fine now.

Comment

hm..

i bought a winfast A250 LE on ebay a while ago (still hasn't arrived yet -.-)

i could look up the original component if you tell me where it is (and the card arrives *argh*)

Comment

Got any junk stuff with those SMD inductor? Take one and solder it in.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Working...
                X