Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which multimeter to choose : BRYMEN BM 869S OR UNIT UT18B PRO ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which multimeter to choose : BRYMEN BM 869S OR UNIT UT18B PRO ?

Hello, there were probably topics like this, but I need opinions about these 2 multimeters or maybe there is another one on the market worth to buy ? .

I am going to change the multimeter and I do not know if the 2x higher price for Brymen will convert into speed and comfort of a work ...

What would you recommend?

Brymen BM869s or UNIT UT18B pro?
    I care about accuracy and security, and the meter will be used for computer hardware.

Thank you very much in advance for your comments and suggestions

Re: Which multimeter to choose : BRYMEN BM 869S OR UNIT UT18B PRO ?

computer hardware? thats vague.
    low voltage or high? frequency?

Comment

Are you wanting to use with Bluetooth or strictly on a computer
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I want a multimeter to use with a small values because the newest platforms ( CPU-S and GPU-s are having really small values ) ( impedance, capacitance, voltage, continouty ... )

I doubt that i will use that multimeter with computer but maybe that will be something i will like so i am not telling to that feature a no.

To that question about frequency...i am not sure if i ever will use that but my point is like this: if i have to pay 150 usd, 200usd or 250usd for a multimeter i will buy the best possible option...money are not the problem.

My choice definitely will be Brymen...i do not want a UNIT which will last for 1 or 2 years only and that is what peoples are saying in comments.

So what to choose ? ... there a new models on Brymen site also which i consider to buy :

BM887
        BM869S
        BM785
        BM867s

Which one will be the best option ?
        Last edited by madfreak; 05-01-2022, 01:25 AM.

Comment

people talking shit about uni-trend meters never owned one.
          most of those trolls spend all their time on eevblog talking shit about MOVs and fuses as though they will be metering high current in power stations!

they would also buy a fluke even though fluke is under new ownership and not what it was.
          brand-snobs.

i was going to say a uni-trend ut61e,
          but as you ruled that excellent meter out, you probably need to look at keysite meters for high count precision stuff

Comment

But UT61E does not have ability to measure small resistance, and 3% accuracy is not acceptable.

And besides all of that...if someone makes a mistake Brymen will forgive more of them ... i think he will

Comment

For computers you're usually measuring DCV, continuity, resistance and you will need a separate ESR/capacitance meter.
              OP you might want to start off with a low (ANENG) or mid range multimeter before breaking the piggy bank and buying a top model. It's important to know what features you really need/like before spending so much.
              I'm saying instead of spending so much on one multimeter, buy two pieces of test equipment (ESR/cap + basic multimeter). I think you don't really need 5 digits unless you are in the lab.

Uni-T does cheap out with input protection. They even cheat - old UT61E they got German TÜV safety approvals, and then depopulated the three MOV's and sold as the same for the rest of the world. So the German model was strong, but the rest of the world got the ripoff that easily was damaged by the BBQ lighter test.
              Uni-T can make a good product, it's just that they design down to the penny and end up screwing themselves. The UT61E+ does look decent though, still came out a bit expensive.

Brymen OEM's products to Fluke, so they aren't allowed to set up shop in North America. So sales/distribution/firmware update/repair is absolute crap unless you are in Europe. eevblog Dave and a moderator sell them for profit, so they're in a conflict of interest about their quality. If it isn't the rotary switch, LCD, input jack, firmware bug etc they seem to never settle down into something meeting the hype. I think they're way overrated.
              Brymens aren't that great for measuring capacitance or semi junctions in-circuit, they use a really low current compared to everyone else's product. This is a problem when working outside of the "lab".

Comment

there are people on this forum who had brymen meters fail and got no support.
                so i'm not so sure about that.

what type of resistance do you want to meter?

Comment

Ok ... there are two multimeters i consider to buy :

UNIT UT161E
                  and
                  BRYMEN BM 869S

... any thoughts ?

Comment

Working...
                  X