Technique Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technique Questions

I'm not a complete newbie to solder but I am new to soldering on boards and components. I was practicing on an old motherboard last night the capacitor removal process and I got that going OK but I didn't have any extra capacitors to try and install, just the set that I bought from badcaps.net (which by the way went very smooth, mailed the same day I ordered them and got here quickly).

When I install the new capacitor I'm having troubles getting the solder to stay at the bottom of the lead next to the board. It has a tendency to want to migrate to the soldering tip. Do I need a smaller tip so that I can heat the board and lead at the same time or should I just move the soldering iron up the lead away from the board and be more patient with taking the time for the solder to melt? If I'm moving the tip away how far from the board should I be heating the lead? The tip I'm using is the one that came with my Weller WES51.

Re: Technique Questions

See this video by CuriousInventor on soldering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

You need to have the tip almost touching the board. Trim the legs of the cap you don't want the heat to bleed off. The solder flows toward the heat, it won't run down the legs. You need a good-sized tip like this one: http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...px?SKU=9840300
      The skinny tips won't get enough heat into the board. The object is to get the solder to flow into the holes and complete the circuit between the capacitor leg and the internal copper traces on the motherboard.

Your iron has sufficient power. You need a tip that will hold the heat, and that tip has to be CLEAN. If the tip is oxidized you won't get enough heat.

Comment

I always touch the pad and the lead at the same time (this is in the Navy manual). They will both be at same temp and solder easily. I almost always use flux from a bottle that I dip my solder in when using the .015 solder and not often when using the .032 as it has more rosin in it.

Comment

This is chapter 3, but you can read the other chapters by changing the # at the end of the url. I have not tried any lead free solders, but I hear people don't really like them. I have almost a lb of 63/37 .032 and 1/2 lb of .015 .

Comment

Steve
            Awesome link to Navymars, some really useful stuff on there.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X