• Show
Clear All

Nichicon FW 10,000uf 50V - Fake?

Hi,

I've bought the following capacitors from eBay:

Nichicon FW 10,000uf 50V

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPAN-1PCS-N...item20bd6614a8

The top looks like this:

I have a suspicion that they are fake - I tried to disassemble one capacitor and all I found inside was the capacitor itself (dielectric & gel):

However it wasn't neatly packed like the picture above - there was about 20% free space.

Any comments?

Thanks.

Re: Nichicon FW 10,000uf 50V - Fake?

It's dubious. The datasheet shows them with the bottom made like all the other Nichicons... not perfectly flat like in the ebay picture.

The Digikey picture is also with a nicer gold shade but that may just be the flash or the guy's camera.

http://media.digikey.com/photos/Nich...FW2A470MPD.JPG
    http://media.digikey.com/photos/Nich...222MHD_sml.jpg
    http://media.digikey.com/photos/Nich...FW2A102MHD.JPG

but the eBay price is adequate, they're about 5$ on digikey (the 10k uF ones)

Comment

I would guess fake, the seller claims production date of 2010 but Nichicon hasn't made any with a phenolic disc at the bottom for many years, have they?

Comment

I say real. Date looks ok, 0518 - week 18 of 2005, dimension matches the datasheet (25x50mm), and looking at the sellers other listings, I think he only sells legit stuff. New old stock. It's not unusual for the weird color and material on some Nichicon series... I have some Nichicon caps from way way back that have white bunges with a hard, acryllic-like bunge.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

The bottom looks like epoxy seal rather than a rubber bung. If I understand the online catalog info, it looks like epoxy end seal is standard for diameters larger than 18mm.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Thanks guys. I've took some pictures so it may be easier to identify the capacitor as fake / real.
            The bottom is some kind of a thick rubber ring with wood on the end.

Last edited by LosNir; 05-17-2012, 03:14 AM.

Comment

2009 Week 22... So it's been sitting in storage for about 3 years and it hasn't bulged and the innards are still moist with electrolyte... Looks good to me. I'll have to remember to order one of those from a trusted Nichicon supplier to dissect and compare.
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Looks real to me. That white font the date of manufacture is printed in - it always looks dodgy on the fakes (or it's not even there to begin with). Compare it with a Nichicon from a motherboard and you'll see it's the same font on yours.
                Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 05-17-2012, 11:34 AM.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

um, how is there supposed to be an indication its bad? its supposed to bloat when bad, right? but it looks like all the gas would leak out where the leads go out
                  Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                  ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

^ The larger diameter Nichicons have a rubber bung at the bottom and on top of that sits a disk (disc?) of some sort of PCB material, probably as a kind of reinforcement or something.

I've seen that quite a few times before.

When they go bad, they always pop their top vent, as the disk at the bottom is pretty solid. I think it's to prevent the rubber bung from getting pushed out (sending the can flying) instead of the top vent bulging and eventually popping open.
                    Last edited by Scenic; 05-18-2012, 08:51 AM.

Comment

That disc is probably phenolic, which is used for PCBs. FR4 is much better. IMO.
                      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

These are real, I also have some similar to these, if anyone wants to see them, i can take pics.

-Ben
                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Hi Guys,
                          i got exact same looking Nichicon FW 2200uF / 100V caps by a friend of mine
                          as they are shown here in post #6

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20587

i`m also a little bit confused/worried about the disc on the ground of the Nichicon FW.

do you really think these are original Nichicon Caps?

@PeteS: could you tell me where you found that info "The bottom looks like epoxy seal rather than a rubber bung. If I understand the online catalog info, it looks like epoxy end seal is standard for diameters larger than 18mm. "

thanks,
                          michael

Comment

Originally posted by miepa View Post
                            Hi Guys,
                            i got exact same looking Nichicon FW 2200uF / 100V caps by a friend of mine
                            as they are shown here in post #6

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20587

i`m also a little bit confused/worried about the disc on the ground of the Nichicon FW.

do you really think these are original Nichicon Caps?

@PeteS: could you tell me where you found that info "The bottom looks like epoxy seal rather than a rubber bung. If I understand the online catalog info, it looks like epoxy end seal is standard for diameters larger than 18mm. "

thanks,
                            michael
                            They are real.

The disc is to give the rubber bung some extra strength.
                            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Hi Ben7,
                              where did you find that info that nichicon uses that "disc"
                              is there any official statement of nichicon anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by miepa View Post
                                Hi Ben7,
                                where did you find that info that nichicon uses that "disc"
                                is there any official statement of nichicon anywhere?
                                No, I havent seen anything about them saying that. But I have seen plenty of large nichicon caps - old and new - with the reinforcing disc. I have seen some Marcon caps like this too.
                                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I have a Nichicon SE 330uF 50V cap which also has a PCB disc over the bung. The dimensions are 13x20mm, which could hardly be called a large cap! This cap also has an interesting 8-section pie chart style design on the top instead of the usual X shape vent, and over the top is an extension of the plastic sleeve, which is a translucent blue (this cap is most likely not vented). The date code is H8130, making it over 30 years old (this was salvaged from a smashed 12V portable Philips TV set found on the road, and unfortunately the cap has two dents on the side).

Comment

Working...
                                  X