How to properly remove a surface mounted voltage regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to properly remove a surface mounted voltage regulator

I want to know the proper way to remove a surface mounted voltage regulator like the one in the photo without burning it up? The chip is soldered in three locations (the two pins & the back). Please be specific like tip size, solder type etc. I am not sure if this is the proper forum so please don't be angry with me. I thank you for any help provided.
    Attached Files

Re: How to properly remove a surface mounted voltage regulator

Use a tip as wide or slightly wider than one of the pins. Start with the pins first. Use a solder wick and wick up the solder on one of the pins--that is, put the wick on top of the soldered pin and then the soldering iron tip over it, and hold it there until the solder is wicked up. Don't worry about the heat, but don't leave it there for a long time (that's unnecessary and may damage the pads and tracks), but for only about 10 seconds max. Then, when the solder is gone and sucked up onto the wick, remove wick and use a pick to lift up slightly the pin while applying heat to the pin to melt any remaining solder, if pin is still soldered in. If not, move on. Just make sure the pin is free.

Then do the same with the other soldered pin.

Switch to another wider size tip (or stick with what you have if not available) and use whatever largest area of the tip that you can use to directly apply to as much surface area of the tab of the voltage regulator as you can, to heat it and the solder, while using tweezers to grab it and remove the part off the board once the solder melts. While all of this is going on, never use force. Melt that solder first, then remove the chip when it happens.

Then clean up the remaining solder by wicking them up.

Comment

Originally posted by electrobe View Post
      I want to know the proper way to remove a surface mounted voltage regulator like the one in the photo without burning it up? The chip is soldered in three locations (the two pins & the back). Please be specific like tip size, solder type etc. I am not sure if this is the proper forum so please don't be angry with me. I thank you for any help provided.
      Chip Quik kit, see video link
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQqjggeklo

Comment

In my sig file below, there is a how to test a voltage regulator link. In that thread, there is a video showing how to remove the SMD voltage regulator.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

ChipQuick low temperature solder is brilliant for removing surface mounted components. Not cheap but worth it.

Comment

Have a look at how this chap does it in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNFzB...Zs&playnext=12

Does ICs in this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjpGK...hannel&list=UL

Comment

Working...
            X