110v inductive pickup type of light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

110v inductive pickup type of light

I work for a school bus garage and we use lighted extension cords for our engine block heaters in the winter. We use these so we can quickly check each bus for a working block heater before leaving for the night. Our problem is we cannot find reasonably priced lighted cords, cannot find cords with lights that work for a long time, some (usually new) get torn up when a driver forgets to unplug. We also cannot find replacement lighted ends. Is there a way to make inductive pickup lights, neon or LED to put on our cords? We are trying to control costs wherever we can, our taxpayers are being stretched thin around here in Indy. Thanks!
    From my favoritest movie ever!:
    Cledus Snow: Can I ask you a question?
    Bo Darville: Sure, ask me what?
    Cleedus: What the Hell do we want to go to Texas for and haul beer back here? What is that?
    Bo: For the good old American life. For the money, the glory, and the fun. Mostly for the money.

Re: 110v inductive pickup type of light

If I were to try to solve this I think I would look for some clear male ends and solder a small neon with a resistor across hot and neutral. It would need replaced periodically as they dont last forever. If you couldnt find clear I suppose you could also drill a 5mm hole in the side of a opaque plug and fit an led (would also need a current limiting resistor).

If you want to go really simple a 3 way with a night light plugged in at the block heater would work
    Liberating magic smoke one part at a time

Comment

Thanks, Caleb. Could you elaborate on the 3 way idea? Thanks!
      Last edited by Poor Flick; 10-04-2014, 10:17 AM.
      Cleedus: What the Hell do we want to go to Texas for and haul beer back here? What is that?
      Bo: For the good old American life. For the money, the glory, and the fun. Mostly for the money.

Comment

just a standard 3 way plug with a mini night light into one plug, and the core heater into the other
        pictures not mine but this should give you the basic idea
        Attached Files

Comment

I might be able to make that work, if the light is at the male end at the plug in stand. (no room in the block heater socket) that would still show us if a GFCI has tripped. Maybe a plexiglass window in the plug in stand. Thanks, Caleb!

Comment

Yours dont have a cord hanging out? My diesel has about a foot of cord. If you really want it at the bus you could make up a shorty cord with 1 male and two female ends using standard plug end and extension cording.

Comment

Caleb, most of our busses have weather resistant plug covers in the front bumper area. I found a similar picture on the internet. If we made 1' short cords we could put the lights at the bus. Easier and more visible than putting windows in the plug in stands. I am thinking your night light idea is the answer, may require some silicone sealant for weatherproofing. Thanks!
              Attached Files

Comment

Glad to be of help

Comment

Not that I don't approve of doing it the hard way, but how about this:

http://products.ericson.com/item/ect...ctors/5269-el?

7$ doesn't sound like much and would probably make it harder for drivers to forget about unplugging seeing it all lit up.

Comment

Thanks, tool49. This is what we were looking for at first, we've tried the local hardware stores and "home centers" here in Hooterville/Indianapolis, they didn't have them. Our building maintenance guy had some electrical supply sources and they were available for just as much as a new cord. When I go back to work Ill see if we can get some ordered. I myself am for the easy way usually, it's time consuming enough to keep 83 diesels running in the winter and we have state police inspection in the early spring. Many thanks to you and Caleb!

Comment

Working...
                    X