1lb solder US $136.00 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1lb solder US $136.00 ?

"I thought that the people in US are generally better financially than in eastern Europe.. "
    Because I am At bottom of the food chain.........Electronics-repair-man........ ................

States ranked by median household income
    Rank State 2014
    1 Maryland $70,004
    2 New Jersey $69,825
    3 California $67,458
    4 Connecticut $65,753

Here is the BEST.....KESTER......USA....

The company was founded in 1899 as the Chicago Solder Company to produce flux-cored solder.This patented Kester manufacturing process has had a major impact in the electronics industry to this day.

Why 1lb solder US $136.00 ? The answer is Silver, I bet yu, Intel, F-22, NASA use more expensive solder (with precious metals) for IC chips, Weapons and Space applications.

http://www.kester.com/products/category/solder-wire Which I bought was 44 and 285 Flex Cored Wire (opened box)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Which metal conducts electricity the best?

The answer: Pure Silver. The problem with Silver is that it can tarnish. This issue can cause problems in applications where skin effect is important, such as with high frequency currents. It is also more expensive than copper and the slight increase in conductivity is not worth the added cost.

So if all metals conduct electricity, how do they all rank? Take a look at this chart:

Material IACS (International Annealed Copper Standard)
    Ranking Metal % Conductivity*
    1 Silver (Pure) 105%
    2 Copper 100%
    3 Gold (Pure) 70%
    4 Aluminum 61%
    5 Brass 28%
    6 Zinc 27%
    7 Nickel 22%
    8 Iron (Pure) 17%
    9 Tin 15%
    10 Phosphor Bronze 15%
    11 Steel (Stainless included) 3-15%
    12 Lead (Pure) 7%
    13 Nickel Aluminum Bronze 7%
    * Conductivity ratings are expressed as a relative measurement to copper. A 100% rating does not indicate no resistance.

As you can see the differences in electrical conductivity vary considerably depending on the metal. As mentioned, Brass has a very low conductivity rating despite containing copper, so it is very important that assumptions are not made on the electrical conductivity of a material. Always do as much research as possible!
    Last edited by capwizard; 03-25-2017, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by capwizard View Post
      "I thought that the people in US are generally better financially than in eastern Europe.. "
      Because I am At bottom of the food chain.........Electronics-repair-man........ ................
      ...Here is the BEST.....KESTER......USA....
      In this forum I've read some topics, where people say how much technicians take in USA for repair jobs...
      About silver solder - fragile joints, need for higher soldering temperatures... The only reason to use solders without lead is to comply with the ROHS directive. Much of the problems with customer electronics today are either because of faulty capacitors or cold joints, caused by leadfree solder.
      Made in USA? Reason enough for me to be unattractive. . Not in EU. Expensive shipping, customs fees and long shipping time.
      Last edited by televizora; 03-25-2017, 09:13 AM.
      Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
      1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

We need to adapt the variety of this world, the electrical outlet plugs, there are currently 15 types of electrical outlet plugs in use today.

TV 50" nobody says 1.27 meters TV. The highest speed limits are generally 70 mph (113 km/h), 2 by 4 building stud : 2 in. x 4 in. x 96 in.

We are using Imperial units, which I don't like. is because we were British colonies in 1607. British colonization of the Americas (including colonization by both the English and the Scots).

Foot: Good King John, who ruled the kingdom in that time, said “Enough of this! My foot is the foot! Throughout all the kingdom, when anyone counts the number of ‘feet’ it will mean my foot!

Yard: A yard was originally the length of a man's belt or girdle, as it was called. In the 12th century, King Henry I of England fixed the yard as the distance from his nose to the thumb of his out-stretched arm. Today it is 36 inches.

Inch: At first an inch was the width of a man's thumb. In the 14th century, King Edward II of England ruled that 1 inch equalled 3 grains of barley placed end to end lengthwise.

Cubit: In ancient Egypt, a cubit was the distance from the elbow to the fingertips. Today a cubit is about 18 inches

Lick: A Lick was used by the Greeks to measure the distance from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the index finger.

Pace: The ancient Roman soldiers marched in paces, which were the length of a double step, about 5 feet; 1,000 paces was a mile. Today, a pace is the length of one step, 21/2 to 3 feet.

PS: I have A big question: What gonna happen if King uses something in the body is variable length as a measurement, How can we use as A standard ???
        Last edited by capwizard; 03-25-2017, 10:13 AM.

Comment

The author of the post bought some "new old stock" solder of a quality brand.

Again, I said compared to above mentioned brands , the Cynel solder is crap. It may be good compared to chinese or no-name brands, but nevertheless is not up to the level of those other brands.

eccerr0r , don't even think about that.

You have a lot of impurities in it like steel from leads of components, burnt flux basically he ratio between tin and lead is all screwed up.

There's lots of combinations of percentages of Tin and Lead that will result in OK solder, some would be euctetic, some won't, some would be more suited than other for some applications... but if the percentage you have now happens to be a bad one or the impurities screw up the solder you won't know how reliable that soldering job would be.

A 2lb solder bar is 20 bucks : https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...139-ND/2498937

If you need solder for a solder pot (for tinning wires or whatever) 20$ is cheaper than risking everything with that ball. I'd say just throw that ball away.

Comment

We need to adapt the variety of this world, the electrical outlet plugs..
            The almost all of EU, Russia and post soviet republics use Schuko plug, so I don't need to adapt.
            And I really, really dislike inches. Because they are imprecise, and I need to convert to metric to understand how big something is.
            Originally posted by mariushm View Post
            Again, I said compared to above mentioned brands , the Cynel solder is crap.
            Why? Explain. The joints are bad, or what? One reason to be bad, other than it's polish.
            If it does the job, how it is bad?
            Last edited by televizora; 03-25-2017, 10:01 AM.
            Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
            1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Last Year I went to British, I don't like they drive on the left side of the road, same as Hong kong, Japan. but city is clean and peoples are obey the rule.

http://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/

I deviate from topic, Is that ture UK and French are leaving EU, for good?
              Last edited by capwizard; 03-25-2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much,They are all good stuff but I can't afford now, I hate cheap solder before I use only USA made solder. but now more and more cheap China TV so I think China solder will blend good with it.

More and more SMD parts do not need any solder I just use Hot Air put it right back............

Next topic : How to make Homemade recycled poorman's solder or How to solder without solder.
                That's a car amplifier and I know it, I repair those from time to time. That one looked like a Maxxsonics board, is it?
                Popcorn.

Comment

16-PRX1.1500 - Memphis Monoblock 1500W

http://www.woofersetc.com/16-prx1-15...kyoaAihL8P8HAQ
                  Attached Files

Comment

Silver solder (at least the PbSnAg solders) with it's whole 2% silver content isn't really going to increase the cost of the solder much. At silver spot price, of say $20/oz, and let's say we have a 1 pound of 63/37 which is around $16. 2% means 1/50th of it is silver, so

($16/lb*49/50)+($20/oz*16oz/lb*1/50) = a bit more than $22

Let's say 100% markup for this solder and it shouldn't even be worth $50.

The amount of silver in silver solder is so little that it contributes only a marginal amount to conductance, granted the lead and tin components of solder are horrible. However solder was not meant to be for conductivity, it's for strength (wires should be twisted together or mechanically connected before soldering for lowest resistance.)

The silver is to help wet some metals that don't stick well to tin and lead. Also if the contacts are already silver plated, you don't want the solder to eat the silver away, so you use silver solder. I think only very old Tektronix equipment was like this.

---

Also I don't really worry much about reusing the ball. Since iron and copper won't dissolve significantly in the solder, it can be removed by filtering (on the other hand, the gold content of this solder is probably higher than virgin solder). Burnt flux is going to float. Also more tin - which what ROHS solder is - will generally keep the melting point down and it will counter the small amount of 50/50 solder.

I'm not going to be using it to solder anything useful, would like to use it as fill solder so I don't have to waste the fresh wire solder.

After I melted down the ball into the dish, I have a disc which no longer has many voids in it anymore. It weighs 120g - about 1/4 lb, so not really that much solder, all in all. Also, come to think of it, the lump of solder does not really have much of a half liquid half solid region, so I suspect (and pretty sure) I did not add much ROHS solder into it, which means it's probably still very close to eutectic or leaning towards 60/40.
                    Last edited by eccerr0r; 03-26-2017, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X