X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by Xenon-Codex View Post
    I got 9 decent Fujitsu PC's from work. Those were going to e-waste, but I took them to be used for spare parts. Two Core2Duo's and six i5-4440's and one i5-3470. They had minor faults preventing the normal selling in auction. One C2D has 600W PSU in it.
    3rd and 4th gen i5's are still very much usable today for just about anything except high-end gaming perhaps.... Good score.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Scored another laptop, a Gericom "Overdose" Mobile 36040c.

I have been regretting my life choices and will gladly take the next laptop that should arrive soon - an ASUS X75VD.

Guess I needed a reminder of how bad ECS/PCChips can be. SiS M661FX iGP, Celeron M 360 (replaced with a Pentium M 740), keyboard barely works as intended, 80GB Samsung IDE HDD. Stuck 2x1GB DDR sticks, they get recognized as half the total capacity.

I don't think I've had enough brains when buying this thing, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Hopefully the X75VD will at least be much easier to work on, and here's me keeping fingers crossed that the CPU is removable in that one. (since I've noticed there are two X75VD revisions. One has a normal mPGA989 socket, while the other has a soldered in i3 CPU. Both boards have 4GB Micron/Crucial RAM soldered onboard) i3 2nd gen + GT610M 1GB doesn't sound too bad, honestly.
      Main rig:
      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
      16GB DDR3-1600
      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
      Delux MG760 case

Comment

The X75VD came in. Soldered i3-2370M CPU @ 2.4GHz (can't have all the nice things in life, eh? Oh well, at least it ain't a Celeron.), a GT610M 1GB, no HDD caddy but had a 250GB Hitachi with 90% life (which I won't discard, but will replace it with a WD Blue WD7500BPVX).

I'm suspecting the charger that came with it is a knockoff and is the sole reason the seller sold it to me as "broken" - broken as in "runs for 1 hour then kills power". The charger it came with not only has a bright blue LED (which AFAIK ASUS almost never used, not even on the ROG chargers - I've had a 180W ROG charger and even that uses green) and on top of that, it's way more lightweight than the other ASUS charger I have (19v 4.74A), which seems to be of a older generation.

Currently installing Win10 LTSC as we speak and will hopefully install a SSD in place of the DVD-RW drive in the near future. (just for variety reasons, I might opt for a Kingston 480GB)
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Scored another cheapo machine:

random "Comprace" case made by Deer (one of those cheap specials where only one side of it is removable!!!)
          Premier LC-C400ATX that will make for a decent 250W unit after a recap (it has most of the components installed and uses an actual rectifier for 12v!)
          2x CD-RW/DVDROM drives, one LG one ASUS.
          ASUS M2NPV-VM mobo
          2x512MB DDR400
          Tenda TEL8139D NIC PCI (likely the onboard NIC is kill, otherwise I don't see why would you run a 10/100 NIC when the MB offers Gigabit.)
          what I think is a Sempron 3000+ or 3200+ (seriously, why do these even exist, and who thought these were useful for anything?)

Cleaned the case thoroughly and put it aside for the time being. Might complete it back together with a A64 x2 (at least) and a PCI-E GPU of the right era - I'm thinking a 7300GT should suffice? It will run Vista SP2 (wanted to build a Vista machine for quite some time and this would be a good candidate) and will have at least 2 or 2.5GB of RAM (though I think the chipset does support 4GB.)
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
            Congrats! gotta keep those CRTs goin!
            Darn, wished I kept at least one of my CRTs that I still had 5 years ago! (last had it in 2016)
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Scored two more mobos:

ASUS P5E-VM DO - Q35 chipset. Has a buttload of bulged KZGs, as well as TMVs around the CPU. I recall having some poly caps for the CPU socket so no biggie, and will probably go with either Panasonic caps or Nichicons for the rest of the mobo
              ASUS M2NPV-MX - same as my M2NPV-VM, sans 1394, and crappier cap choice for 1000uf caps (VM has Panasonics, MX has TK)

The latter (M2NPV-MX) also came with a rather nice Titan cooler (these were pretty good, back in the Socket 462 days) and a Athlon 64 3500+.
              Last edited by Dan81; 01-03-2022, 08:59 AM.
              Main rig:
              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
              16GB DDR3-1600
              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                Scored two more mobos:

ASUS P5E-VM DO - Q35 chipset. Has a buttload of bulged KZGs, as well as TMVs around the CPU. I recall having some poly caps for the CPU socket so no biggie, and will probably go with either Panasonic caps or Nichicons for the rest of the mobo.
                I saw some pictures of the VM DO with all poly VRM caps. But except a few the rest of them look like KZG
                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Mine has bulged 680uF 4v TMVs near the CPU socket, and KZGs everywhere else. Bulged of course, though the board does POST.
                  Main rig:
                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                  16GB DDR3-1600
                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Mine has bulged 680uF 4v TMVs near the CPU socket, and KZGs everywhere else. Bulged of course, though the board does POST.
                    I replace those with 560uF 4v SEPC polymers that are ~7mm tall. One thing you have to beware of is using caps taller than the originals, it can interfere with heatsinks.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Would 6.3v off a dud P5K work? I'm using a low profile HSF with a E2200 for now.
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Would 6.3v off a dud P5K work? I'm using a low profile HSF with a E2200 for now.
                        possibly, what value are they? Polymer? Lytic? Just be careful removing them, its easy to tug the legs out of them during removal.
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

560uF 6.3v poly, there's no lytic on the P5K from what I can see on the board.
                          Main rig:
                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                          16GB DDR3-1600
                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

560uF 6.3v poly, there's no lytic on the P5K from what I can see on the board.
                            Yea, that would work.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Well, thanks for the tip.

Just polymerised the whole CPU VRM section and got rid of those rotten TMVs, with Fujitsu taking their place. 9x 560uF 6.3v, able to withstand even a Kentsfield Q6600.

The entirety of KZGs that were on the board were eradicated. I didn't take any risks in leaving ANY of them - I've previously had a MSI P965 Platinum - I initially recapped it to replace a few blown KZGs near the main PCI-E slot near the northbridge. Three months after, half of the board had blown KZGs from just sitting. Polymodded it entirely and gave it away to a friend.

Onto this P5E-VM DO, I replaced the 820uF 6.3v (seriously ASUS, why are you like this? Would 1000uF have hurt you that much?) KZGs with Panasonic FJ and FJS of the same rating, off two dead motherboards - a P5GC-MX/1333 and a M2N-MX. Not the best way to do it but all of them seem in pretty good shape.

What absolutely surprised me is the fact it supports TPM and even has a Intel ME BIOS loading on boot. Apparently "Digital Office" is something ASUS must've yet again took way too far.

Will make a pretty rad "wolf in sheep's clothing" machine, with a Q9400, 4 or 8GB of RAM, a 500GB Seagate + 2x 74GB Raptors in RAID, a HD4850 512M, SATA LG DVD-RW, and most of all, the most random and generic black micro/miniATX case you can ever think of. Gotta check what PSU I have that can run the 4850, though I remember pimping out an Allied unit to ridiculous levels just to run that 4850, so why not put it up to work?
                              Main rig:
                              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                              16GB DDR3-1600
                              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Figured I'd also show the post-op pics.

The bunch of dead UCCs I removed from the board. Straight into the trash they went.

The board, with Panasonic FJ and FJS installed.
                                Attached Files
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

IMO unless you're doing it because you're bored or want to keep your skill up (which you obviously don't need to do). Isn't this a waste of money? I mean, those boards don't sell for much used

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                    3rd and 4th gen i5's are still very much usable today for just about anything except high-end gaming perhaps.... Good score.
                                    Not even medium-end gaming. I have a 6700k (@4.4) and there are some (like two) games it struggles with

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                      IMO unless you're doing it because you're bored or want to keep your skill up (which you obviously don't need to do). Isn't this a waste of money? I mean, those boards don't sell for much used
                                      Considering I got all of them for free (the fellow who I got the P5E-VM DO from was cleaning up his workplace and chose to keep only 1155 and newer boards), not at all.
                                      Main rig:
                                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                      16GB DDR3-1600
                                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Just because something is free does not mean it's worth much

on ebay the board sells for ~40, and I'm sure shipping from Romana is a bitch

Unless you rebuild for others I don't see any point of redoing it and setting it aside

FYI your state and country are reversed

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                          Not even medium-end gaming. I have a 6700k (@4.4) and there are some (like two) games it struggles with
                                          Meh...who cares, 2 games. Still perfectly usable...

Since your games won't play on that v5500, best toss it in the trash....it's no good by that logic.
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X