Zotac GTX 1070 with Damaged Components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zotac GTX 1070 with Damaged Components

Hello all. I have tried searching for schematics of this card but hardly found any info when I purchased it almost 2 years ago and no luck now. But fortunately I found this forum so I hope you guys can help.

I walked down and found my PC off the other morning and it would not restart. I opened it up after disconnecting the power supply and got sparks on the back of the 1070 PCB when I tried to power it back up. I was able to identify 3 damaged capacitors (I think) opposite of the Mosfets (again, I think). I was pretty sure since they had their own heat sink but after pulling the GPU cooler to look at the rest of the board I see some large components next to large capacitors that I can't identify. C323, C389 and C621

My question is can these be identified and replaced or is the card done?

I have a soldering Iron, though I'm not sure if it's too large as I'd have to find it. I would like to get a soldering station as I find myself more and more into projects that may involve custom PCBs. The card itself is no loss as I have another GPU, but it was convenient to be able to run multiple applications at once.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Attached Files

Re: Zotac GTX 1070 with Damaged Components

Hi, these caps are on the primary vrm side, probably on the 12v line, but check this with a multimetr, after removibg the melted caps. They schould then be ca 10-20 uF/16V. You can also desoldere a good one, and measure it with meter with capacitance function. The melted caps you will most probably need to grind from the board, as tracks are melted with the cap metal, with much higher melting temperaturę. A soldering iron will not help, temp. is much too low. Using higher temp. will destroy the board material. Use some small rotating grinding tool. If the cap pads will be destroyed due to the melting and grinding, you can solder the new caps to the neighbour caps. They schould be all in paralel, but check this before you solder. You can also make some bridge of wire to the new caps. Check also the mosfets before firing up the card. The gates schould have some 5k to 30k ohm resistance against ground. Check also the resistance of the ddr5 supply (60-120 Ohm, dependent o memory vendor), PEX line, 5v line, and 1.8v line on the bios chip (pin 8). No one schould have a short. Look also for some tutorials on youtube, there are some quite good ones available.

Comment

Working...
    X