Asus Strix 1070 - Bad memory bank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus Strix 1070 - Bad memory bank?

I have a GTX 1070 Strix that has all the voltages, boots, but shows no image. The screen detects the input after some time, but it stays black. After running MATS i found out that only the Memory Bank c0 was giving errors. Since i don't have a hot air station or skills to change the memory myself i've asked a technician to change the memory bank.
    The result was exactly the same. Still no image and still errors on bank c0. As far as i know if the issue is with the memory controller usually the banks fail in pairs (c0 and c1). I'm also making available the mats reports before and after the memory change in case it helps. Is there a possibility of something other than a dead core/memory controller?

Thank you
    Attached Files

Re: Asus Strix 1070 - Bad memory bank?

You can check the glue around the core for discolouration near the failing memory bank, of course this would indicate a failing memory controller.

You can also compare the discrete components around the failing memory bank with one of the good ones.

There is also of course the possibility the memory chip isn't soldered correctly, but Tech Cemetery says those type of inversion errors can be a sign of a bad memory controller
    Last edited by Bozog; 01-26-2022, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Re: Asus Strix 1070 - Bad memory bank?

I actually didn't know that 00ff00ff was a typically a signal of a failed mem controller. What is exactly inversion error? From what i remember from Tech Cemetery videos usually a failed mem controller translates into the full memory channel ( c1 and c0 for this case) failing MATS test. I've checked the die for discoloration at the start of this process but i didn't find anything obvious. Will post a picture later when i get home.
      The only possibility other that the dead mem controller at this point is some of the components around the memory bank being bad. but im not hopefull :\

Comment

Working...
      X