i7-4790k makes the computer freeze up during startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i7-4790k makes the computer freeze up during startup

the computer freezes up with the i7-4790k cpu installed but it works fine with a lower end processor. would delidding fix this issue?

Re: i7-4790k makes the computer freeze up during startup

Originally posted by kjchatman View Post
    the computer freezes up with the i7-4790k cpu installed but it works fine with a lower end processor. would delidding fix this issue?
    No.

A CPU delid is only useful if you are trying to lower CPU temps with at least watercooling.

The purpose of a delid is to remove some of the thermal barrier (aka thickness of the TIM and sealant) to have better mating between the IHS and the die.

The fact it freezes (not enough info here) says it's likely not thermal related.

Comment

What makes you think delidding it would fix it? Seems like the 4790k is just broken, or your motherboard either needs a bios update or just doesn't support it.

Comment

it ran for 8 years and then the customer unplugged the water pump for some reason. I ran it for hours without realizing that the pump was not running. I figure the TIM is dried up

Comment

Originally posted by kjchatman View Post
          it ran for 8 years and then the customer unplugged the water pump for some reason. I ran it for hours without realizing that the pump was not running. I figure the TIM is dried up
          The TIM wouldn't have "dried up".
          Unless they disabled the OTP it would have shutdown or at minimum throttled before killing the CPU.

That said when it freezes, is that under any load or just idle on desktop?
          What are the temps?

Chances are the CPU is bad but test properly first.

Comment

it never makes it to the desktop unless the graphics card is removed and the intel hd graphics is used instead. you also have to disable the intel hd graphics driver and then it doesn't freeze. the system works perfectly with the other cpu

Comment

Sounds like the IGPU is broken.

Comment

seems to have a faulty processor...

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...rocessors.html

Comment

Working...
                X