RX 5700 Red Devil PCIe pins help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RX 5700 Red Devil PCIe pins help

Hey guys . Just purchased a 5700 Red Devil with shorted pcie pins(12v + gnd I presume) . You can see the damage in the picture attached . Can anyone who has a working one point me where they go ? I know the first 3 pins are 12v power supply and the next one is GND , but I have no clue where the 5th pin should be going and I cannot find a board view anywhere . Any help will be much appreciated as I am trying to restore the pins and see where it gets me . Cheers
    Attached Files

Re: RX 5700 Red Devil PCIe pins help

See attached.

The 5th & 6th pins from the LEFT side of the PCIe fingers are SMBUS & SMDAT. These are essentially I2C bus lines that can be used by the logic board to communicate with devices on this mated adapter to configure the component.

Summary: doubt it very very much if it is used at all.

Background: We have over 1M PCIe adapters in the field and have yet to use these pins for any of our designs. I think it will be safe for you to ignore these 2 pins.

Consider to repair this card by starting from the right side of the gold fingers, ie. pin # 11. Then go to the LEFT and confirm if you require the pin or not.

Most likely only the +12V rail needs to be restored as there are multiple grounds on the PCIe interface connector already.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
      See attached.

The 5th & 6th pins from the LEFT side of the PCIe fingers are SMBUS & SMDAT. These are essentially I2C bus lines that can be used by the logic board to communicate with devices on this mated adapter to configure the component.

Summary: doubt it very very much if it is used at all.

Background: We have over 1M PCIe adapters in the field and have yet to use these pins for any of our designs. I think it will be safe for you to ignore these 2 pins.

Consider to repair this card by starting from the right side of the gold fingers, ie. pin # 11. Then go to the LEFT and confirm if you require the pin or not.

Most likely only the +12V rail needs to be restored as there are multiple grounds on the PCIe interface connector already.

Thanks a lot for the answer . I will try to see what happens when the copper with glue arrives as I ordered from internet because I don`t know any other way to restore them

Comment

You can apply external - heavy gauge wires directly onto the PCB (do not use the fingers at all). So using only 2 wires (+12v and ground) - you can then feed these missing rails with the power supply connector. Just a suggestion.

Be sure to check the voltage from your power supply connector (from memory; has been a while but it should be the YELLOW wire on your PC power supply; BLACK will be the common ground).

Double check your work and then power up. Since the power supply is the common power source for this entire logic board & this missing power rail, it is should be ok to try this idea. Also will be more rugged then trying to replace copper foil pads which will not be able support heavy currents. This is why they cluster a group of pads together so that they can share the current (load).

Comment

You can apply external - heavy gauge wires directly onto the PCB (do not use the fingers at all). So using only 2 wires (+12v and ground) - you can then feed these missing rails with the power supply connector. Just a suggestion.

Be sure to check the voltage from your power supply connector (from memory; has been a while but it should be the YELLOW wire on your PC power supply; BLACK will be the common ground).

Double check your work and then power up. Since the power supply is the common power source for this entire logic board & this missing power rail, it is should be ok to try this idea. Also will be more rugged then trying to replace copper foil pads which will not be able support heavy currents. This is why they cluster a group of pads together so that they can share the current (load).

I also have an external variable power supply . should I try to feed the card from the pins ups and not connecting it into a mining riser after I reaplce those pci fingers with copper foil ? Do you know any other way to remake those pcie fingers ? I was thinking of puttin that copper foil and put some solder on it after I stick them to pcb

Comment

My suggestion is to review the exposed copper traces on the actual video card. Then solder a standard cable harness directly into these traces to supply the +12v rail.

Then mate this new cable direct to your pc power supply or +12v source.

Do not use an adjustable power supply for this repair. Whatever powered this expansion slot should be used.

This solution does not need trace repair kits since you are soldering directly to the board.

Post clear pics of the traces and confirm with a meter that the large copper pad to the left side is all the same and us for +12v use. Then there is a thin gap and another large pad area which likely is ground but confirm it. Do not solder short these 2 pins as that will shut down the power supply.

Post pics so it can be reviewed before powering up.

Comment

My suggestion is to review the exposed copper traces on the actual video card. Then solder a standard cable harness directly into these traces to supply the +12v rail.

Do not use an adjustable power supply for this repair. Whatever powered this expansion slot should be used.

This solution does not need trace repair kits since you are soldering directly to the board.

Post clear pics of the traces and confirm with a meter that the large copper pad to the left side is all the same and us for +12v use. Then there is a thin gap and another large pad area which likely is ground but confirm it. Do not solder short these 2 pins as that will shut down the power supply.

Thanks for clearing this things up . I will do so tomorrow as |I am away for the weekend

Comment

When the card arrived today from Germany it arrived in a very bad shape with shorts all around . It seems like the seller was a completely unhonest piece of shit . I don`t think this pcb is repairable anymore . What a fucking prick
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X