Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel NUC6i7KYK.Help identify burnt capacitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel NUC6i7KYK.Help identify burnt capacitor?

I was using my NUC6i7KYK and suddenly it restarted. That happened more and more often. Now it doesn't even boot (fans start but no display output).
    I opened the box and found this little component burnt.
    How can I know if this is really a capacitor? It has no continuity (open circuit). In another part of the board similar components show continuity but can't measure their capacity.
    Any help is highly appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 03-17-2022, 09:29 AM. Reason: Intel NUC6i7KYK

Re: Help identify burnt capacitor?

Most likely an inductor feeding the input of the voltage regulator just next door. (Richtek RT6220AGQUF)
    Voltage regulator is probably shorted, and that might have damaged the CPU…
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
      Most likely an inductor feeding the input of the voltage regulator just next door. (Richtek RT6220AGQUF)
      Voltage regulator is probably shorted, and that might have damaged the CPU…
      Thanks @piernov!
      Does somebody know which is the inductance value of it?

Comment

It could also be what they call a ferrite chip bead (not a ferrite bead) but a an inductor like a HCB4532
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
          It could also be what they call a ferrite chip bead (not a ferrite bead) but a an inductor like a HCB4532
          Thanks R_J. But the size doesn't match; That HCB4532 has a footprint of 4.5x3.2 (mm). The component was closer to something like 0805 (2.0x1.2 mm).
          Found a high resolution image showing the component in healthy condition.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by mc4ren; 05-15-2020, 01:16 PM.

Comment

I did'nt think the "size" would match because you never said what the size is. I doubt that is the only problem.
            Last edited by R_J; 05-15-2020, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
              I did'nt think the "size" would match because you never said what the size is. I doubt that is the only problem.
              Yes, you're right.

Comment

Hello, same issue here. I just replaced the voltage regulator (Richtek RT6220AGQUF) and still no video output. Will report back as soon as I get the ferrite bead.

Comment

Originally posted by almeyras View Post
                  Hello, same issue here. I just replaced the voltage regulator (Richtek RT6220AGQUF) and still no video output. Will report back as soon as I get the ferrite bead.
                  Try to nlook for softwares that can read bios modules. not sur eif Andy P's SLIC tool can do it after all.

Comment

Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK.Help identify burnt capacitor?

Regarding the ferrite bead: one side links to +V (19V) and the other is ground. I bought the ferrite bead they recommended in the intel forum, but they are very low resistance, and it feels suicidal to place them between 19 V

There is also a short circuit in R47
                    Last edited by almeyras; 03-21-2022, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X