Exchanging RAM slots on motherboard ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exchanging RAM slots on motherboard ?

Hi, has anyone a good solution to solder out and replace a ram slot on the motherboard ?

I tried one useless board to use preheater from the backside of the motherboard to melt the tin and take out the whole socket in one move, but the ram plastic did melt before the tin became fluid, so no use for such a method.

I know a tin wave bath could do it, but it's difficult to McGuyver such an installation in a non professional workshop at home and it requires a lot of tin, which is not cheap. Also brute force and desoldering the pins one by one is a way to get out the socket, but the appropriate question is how to get out a socket in a perfect condition to recover it as spare part to be able to reuse it ?

Any suggestions ?
    Last edited by DynaxSC; 03-09-2022, 04:27 AM.

Re: Exchanging RAM slots on motherboard ?

Low melt solder, Chipquick or equivalent, then clean up the socket and pads with solder wick.

Comment

Many thanks for this hint diff.
      Seems ChipQuick is easy accessible in my country.

Comment

You can buy replacement RAM slots on Aliexpress. They don't necessarily all have the same shape so make sure you get one that looks similar.
        Removing a RAM slot without damaging it (or the board) will not be easy.
        Cleaning the holes on the patient board is a challenge as well…
        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Hi piernov, I know it is possible to take a new one, but if trying then to sell a repaired mobo, it will decrease the price so much, that it will not justify the effort. Thats why I look for a way to extract a slot, cause I have many spare boards which I can "cannibalize". Also for the environment it's better to reuse things and not to throw them away.

Comment

must use a customized soldering pot long that a ram slot.

Comment

Working...
            X