X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rx 470 nitro+ 4gb mosfet problem

hello everyone!
    i hope you're doing well
    i have this rx 470 that stopped suddenly when i was playing a game, the pc boots but the gpu is not detected
    so i took it apart and tried to fix it, after some digging i've found that the problem is in the 2nd mosfet from the bottom, i changed it along with the 2 fuses and the upper 2 16v capacitors (were leaking)
    tested it and it worked fine but at the minimum clock speed, the moment i increase it booom!
    i did the same process again (the same issue works only at the minimum clock speed) but it ended worst, i lost the 3 lower mosfets and for some reason the the pci-e fuse blew too.
    again changed the three of them and the 2 lower capacitors. guess what the same thing but this time only the 2nd mosfet (the empty one in the photo) was burned out.
    i changed the lower fuse and jumped the other 2, now there is no short but i don't know what to do next if anyone have any idea on how to fix it i'd really appreciate any help here.
    thank you.
    Attached Files

Re: rx 470 nitro+ 4gb mosfet problem

Change all the MOSFETs, the drivers (if there are any) and VRM Controller IC at the same time - and hope for the best

If it blows again after that then most likely something is drawing too much current
    Follow me on YouTube
    ------------------
    Learn Electronics Repair
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

hey,
      thank you very much for the answer sir!!!
      i really appreciate it

i tried fixing this gpu only the last few days, it worked !
      now i'm stuck with another problem, i can't really control the fan speed it works only at 100%
      what could be the cause of this ?

Comment

what is the temperature of the GPU now?

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
          what is the temperature of the GPU now?
          i think i got it wrong ( sorry for the inconvenience )

actually the fans doesn't turn at all, so i thought of making them always on at full power but i will have an airplane inside the room so...

the fans supposed to work at boot screen but it doesn't so i think the temp sensor is not the problem

i tried another couple of fans of the same model it didn't work too
          Last edited by mrsdsdsdsd; 03-01-2022, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Re: rx 470 nitro+ 4gb mosfet problem (solved)

the card is working properly now
            i'll summarize the work :
            -i've replaced all the right side capacitors (changing the lower ones fixed the fan problem)
            -i've replaced the shorted mosfets several times (for some reason in the last try i managed to successfully make it)

thank you all for help !!

Last edited by mrsdsdsdsd; 04-05-2022, 08:04 AM.

Comment

hello to you

I had the same problem with an HS mosfet seen with the thermal camera and after restarting another one also broke down and so on randomly

I had to do it several times to solder its mosfets well and change them as well as the regulator. In addition, I had taken some on Aliexpress so maybe some of them out of production are not reliable. You also have to be careful what you choose.

Comment

Originally posted by fab13 View Post
                hello to you

I had the same problem with an HS mosfet seen with the thermal camera and after restarting another one also broke down and so on randomly

I had to do it several times to solder its mosfets well and change them as well as the regulator. In addition, I had taken some on Aliexpress so maybe some of them out of production are not reliable. You also have to be careful what you choose.
                hi
                actually, i got the mosfets from a donor board ( the same model ), they could be broken or something
                it could be my fault as well, i'm not really good at soldering after all
                so yeah you have to be careful

Comment

Working...
                X