Can't recognized caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't recognized caps

Hi, can someone help me I have determine voltage on this cap on picture below. I have donor board and I would like to replace caps but I am not sure if they are same voltage. I see that they are both 270 ohm, but on this other one there is no voltage I google that C letter is for 16V mark, but I would like someone to confirm if thats true. And Would it be wise if we determine they are 16V to replace them all ? btw I know that one cap is missing and I noticed that on one board those 270 ohm caps are a bit shorter.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Thermaltake; 03-29-2022, 11:02 AM.

Re: Can't recognized caps

The cap has a rating of 270uF (not ohms, that is resistors).
    As for voltage ratings, depends what part of the circuit it is located...
    The pic on the left, shows a 6.3v cap on the left of the heat spreader and a 2.5v cap on the right of it.

I would think a 6.3v cap would be fine.
    However having the correct cap for a replacement would be ideal.
    Also voltage ratings on caps are generally the MAX voltage the cap is rated for, so using a 16v cap on a 6.3v circuit should be fine.

Comment

Sorry I wrote wrong I ment uF not ohms don't know what I was thinking...

Ones on the left would replace those to the right. I forgot to say that left is donor board, and on the right is board I would like to repair.

6.3V are caps beside that one I would take off, but not that I pointed red on the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by gt403cyl View Post
        I would think a 6.3v cap would be fine.

This is input decoupling of the CPU VCore VRM so this will obviously be rated at 16V at least. Put a 6.3V and you'll get some nice fireworks…
        Last edited by piernov; 03-30-2022, 10:14 AM.
        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
          This is input decoupling of the CPU VCore VRM so this will obviously be rated at 16V at least. Put a 6.3V and you'll get some nice fireworks…
          I know when people are talking rubbish don't worry

I found board schematics for donor board and those caps are 16V, I guess that would be okay to replace all on that board I want to revive, right ?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Thermaltake; 03-30-2022, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
            Originally posted by Thermaltake View Post
            I know when people are talking rubbish don't worry

Can you tell me if it's not a problem if those are 16V I found in manual of nippon caps that C is for 16V, but I'm not sure I need someone who is in electronics to confirm.
            I was under the impression it was the other way around, obviously putting a 6.3v rated cap in a 16v circuit is bad.

If you would read my response you would see that. I even state that.

Comment

nichicon LF series
              C = 16v
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
                nichicon LF series
                C = 16v
                Thanks. So it's safe to replace all three caps, right ?

Comment

Yes, replace all three, just observe the polarity of the capacitor on the board (ASUS has a non-standard polarity - with a white stripe it is positive).

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
                    Yes, replace all three, just observe the polarity of the capacitor on the board (ASUS has a non-standard polarity - with a white stripe it is positive).
                    Thanks!

For all info. As I see they both have negative polarity on the same side Asrock and Asus. White is negative.
                    Last edited by Thermaltake; 03-30-2022, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Caps soldered from donor board to one that I want to revive, everything is working fine

Comment

Working...
                      X