Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zotac GTX 1080 no display, no 27 MHz, VBIOS issues

Hi everyone,

just registered a few days ago because I'm currently working on a Zotac GTX 1080 Amp. Got it very cheap because, according to the previous owner, it won't give an output on the monitor.

Indeed, no display on none of the outputs. Even after a few minutes there's not even a black screen signal, like you sometimes see on GPUs with faulty VRAM. Nevertheless, the GPU is kind of detected by the OS. The correct drivers are installed, GPU-Z shows 0 MB VRAM, revision FF and can't figure out the BIOS version and various other details about the GPU. But it's alive.

After making sure that all voltages are present, I went ahead and replaced the 27 MHz crystal (which was giving a flat line on the scope) and the VBIOS SPI chip (which got CLK and CS from the GPU, but no activity on SI and SO).
    None of that helped.

No, sometimes problems arise from bad solder connections and so during POST I pressed down the corner of the GPU package in which the SPI lines are connected: "We have a picture". And it is even reproducible.
    - No pressure during POST: No display
    - Pressure during POST: Display
    - Let go after POST: Picture disappears again
    - Pressure again: Picture reappears

So it seems to affect more than just the SPI lines, because otherwise the output should be stable even without pressure. Maybe the 27 MHz lines to the crystal which btw are located in the same corner?

Whatever, this GPU has at least 2, probably 4 and perhaps even a few more disconnected pads.

What to do next? I have the equipment to rework SMDs but I never attempted to work on anything bigger than VRAM chips. Not sure if it's feasible to only reflow the critical corner of the GPU or if doing so would introduce additional stress.
    But would it be enough to apply flux, heat the GPU to the point where it moves, wiggle it a bit and hope for the best? Otherwise it would need a complete removal and reballing procedure, which I don't feel comfortable doing.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SiO2; 04-10-2022, 06:26 AM.

Re: Zotac GTX 1080 no display, no 27 MHz, VBIOS issues

Assume when the heatsink is attached there isn't enough clamping pressure on that corner to make the issue go away? Maybe you could place a small, thin thermal pad on that corner with the heatsink attached to see if that works all the time.

It does however sound like the only permanent fix would be a reball though (unless the issue is within the die of the chip itself). Heat/flux might also work (even if temporarily), but you would have to be super careful with temps. Do you have full BGA rework set up, or just a decent hot air station?

Comment

Originally posted by benwaterson View Post
      Maybe you could place a small, thin thermal pad on that corner with the heatsink attached to see if that works all the time.
      Brilliant idea! It actually works! I placed a small piece of 1 mm think pad on the corer of the interposer. The heatsink mounted as usual and the little extra pressure is enough to "fix" the card. Temps look normal in idle (32 °C, 43 °C hot spot). I only dared to run a few seconds of Unigine Heaven but temps also seem normal here. That's a huge success and I'm almost certain now, that it's worth reballing the chip.

Originally posted by benwaterson View Post
      Do you have full BGA rework set up, or just a decent hot air station?
      No, I only have a heat gun to preheat from the bottom side and a cheap 858D station for the top. So far, absolutely enough to replace MOSFETs, DrMOS and controller chips, VRAM BGAs etc. But for sure not good enough for a GPU .

Comment

Haha, that's great!

If you are keeping the card for yourself I would say to not bother with the reball and run it as it is (if it's stable and not overheating). If you are planning to sell on then probably not.

Comment

Is the PCB of the graphics card warped at all?

Comment

Originally posted by ribcage View Post
            Is the PCB of the graphics card warped at all?
            It's not visibly warped. But I have no idea if it was bent in the past, maybe during transport or installation? No idea.

But given the symptoms and the temporary workaround, it seems to make sense. Or is it a red herring?

Comment

Working...
            X