Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the Oak OTI067 have a splash screen / initialization message at bootup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the Oak OTI067 have a splash screen / initialization message at bootup?

tl;dr ... Question: Does the Oak OTI067 have a splash screen / initialization message at bootup?

More detail:

Working on "Uncle Sherman", my Mitsubishi MP-3200 386 from 1988. Before I start up old computers I have a process where I disassemble, test for shorts, visually inspect, capture EPROM images etc.

My T866II+ give me a "pins not detected" error on the EPROM from the Oak-based (OTI067 GPU but apparently a no-name card??) I assumed the EPROM was bad, ordered a replacement and figured I'd program a downloaded ROM image to it.

When it got time to try to fire up the PC for the first time I used a Trident TVGA8900D, which gave me the ROM splash screen / initialization message. Then RAM test, KBD error and FD error (those aren't plugged in yet) All looked good.

For poop and giggles... I mean "completeness and due diligence"... I put the Oak card in. It also fired up and POSTed, but I don't get any splash screen / initialization message from the card. First thing I see is RAM test, etc.

So either the card supposed to have an initialization message, and its absence is a symptom of the bad EPROM... (doubtful, tbh) Or there is no splash screen, the card is fine, and my EPROM reader and that particular EPROM are just having "personality clash". (my theory)

Thoughts?
Working...
X