RAM Confusion, Elitedesk 800 G2 Tower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAM Confusion, Elitedesk 800 G2 Tower

All - I'm baffled. I have the HP Elitedesk 800 G2 tower PC, with i7 6700. It came with 2 Kingston 8GB sticks of 2133 RAM which worked fine.. I bought my Dad the Elitedesk 800 G2 SFF and swapped the Kingston into that as he needed something ASAP. The SFF came with 2 Hynix 4GB sticks which I installed in my tower and they worked fine. Then when I tried to upgrade my tower back to 16GB, I went with 2 8GB G.Skill Aegis sticks using the NewEgg memory finder, and the fun began. That memory wouldn't work at all. I got an error, 2E1, memory size error. Then, after I tried to put the Hynix modules back in, it booted but would only recognize the 4GB in DIMM 1. I swapped the sticks and it didn't matter; it only saw DIMM 1. The RAM size error is still hanging around in BIOS, and although it says I can hit enter to correct it, that doesn't work.

Then I used Crucial's memory finder and bought 2 8GB 2400 sticks, and again it will only see DIMM 1. CPU-Z does show the speed there as 2400. The BIOS seems to give no functionality to change anything regarding the RAM settings. Any data I found online basically left me with only the option to swap the Mobo. For $20 I bought an OEM board, and with the Crucial sticks, it gave 3 nasty beeps then 2, and wouldn't boot. I played around and if I left the Crucial 8GB stick in DIMM 3 only, it booted and recognized it. With a Crucial stick in DIMM 1, no joy. Huh? I'm lost, Is the BIOS or mobo just junk from the factory? I find it very odd that at least the 2nd board won't see both Hynix sticks. Both boards are using the most recent BIOS. Mobo is called Spitfire Rev A.

Re: RAM Confusion, Elitedesk 800 G2 Tower

Try this clear the bios chip with the jumper if it has one remove all memory and try booting it up

Then put in one memory stick and check that it see it
    Then put the same exact one in the other memory slot
    Then try the next memory module in both slots
    Then try both again

If the memory sticks are not from the same exact manufacturer this can give you a lot of trouble getting it to work if you can get it to work correctly together

HP computer are a pain in the a** to get to work
    Case in point I have several HP 8200 elite computers and I put a sata hard drive and refused to see it and half of the time I could not get into the bios setup it would just go beyond this and give an error message that there was no hard drive now I use a ide hard drive it could see that one but windows operating systems boot disk could not find it

Well come to find out there is a page in the bios that sometimes it would go that page and sometimes it would not but I got lucky one time and saw that there was a setting that was for sata drive instead of ide that was the hole issue with why windows operating systems disk would not see the hard drive

I have ran into this problem before and it not very easy to resolve
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-16-2022, 09:18 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Thanks for the response, sam_sam_sam. This board has a BIOS reset button, so I used that and tried your method. No joy...no matter what RAM module I moved from DIMM1 to DIMM3, I got nothing but 3 loud beeps then 2 less loud ones, and no boot. I also tried installing the Hynix in the other channel and no joy there either. So currently the system will boot using the two 8GB Crucial sticks in channel A, but only see the stick in DIMM1. Or I can leave the stick out of DIMM3 and I'll be able to boot.

The odd thing is that on the other OEM board, it's DIMM3 that works. Like it's reversed. One of the main reasons I bought this box was that it supports a total of 64GB of RAM, not that I would prolly ever need it. 'But knowing you could is awesome'. OUCH.

MT

Comment

Tying this off; it appears that the 8GB G.Skill Aegis sticks I bought not only don't work on this PC, but they screwed up my mobo. Also turns out I inadvertently received dual rank 8GB Crucial sticks from an eBay seller rather than the single rank that Crucial specifies, and that was part of it. Also, it seems that BIOS updates on this must be done from inside BIOS, rather than starting from Windows and going to the HP site that way. In future no HP for me.

MT

Comment

Working...
        X