Dimension 8300 bad caps, can't remove board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimension 8300 bad caps, can't remove board

I've got a Dimension 8300 that I need to recap. Unfortunately, I can't get the board off the motherboard tray. The CPU heatsink retainer bracket is mounted directly to the tray with 4 plastic push-through clips. They're the two-part clips where you put part 1 in the tray, and then push part 2 through it to spread part 1 out.

I first tried pushing the center up from below, using the tip of my screwdriver. However, that got me nowhere, no matter how hard I tried. So I went to the top and tried to pry it out, and it just snapped the head off the pin, leaving the rest of it firmly planted in the tray, and still holding the motherboard down.

I don't want to break all these pins off, but If I could find a source for replacement pins, I would. The PC is still functioning, but I need to get it recapped before it becomes an issue. Oh, and I need to know that I can do it, because the PC is 1.5 hours away, and I've already made one failed trip. PC cannot come home with me because the person uses it heavily.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Re: Dimension 8300 bad caps, can't remove board

These push pins are very hard to push out. Be hard. Get good support from bottom with board flipped over directly where one pushpin is, get a small round rod with handle on it and push hard through. Takes about appox 15lb to push through.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Re: Dimension 8300 bad caps, can't remove board

I clipped/pushed the push pins out with much aggravation. I'll be replacing with 3/8" 6-32 machine screws with 6-32 NYLON lock nuts. But be careful, nylon lock nuts are a pain to take off again.

Comment

Working...
      X