Supermicro 370DLE with bad caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supermicro 370DLE with bad caps

I recently acquired a Supermicro 370DLE motherboard. I got it knowing it was not working, and the seller indicated he didn't know what was wrong... I figured for $15.00 I'd take a chance with it.... It is full of caps marked with the brand of \"NRSY\"....

Lone behold when it arrived, there are several 1000uF caps bulging at the seams (obviously bad)...

I've replaced them all with nice low ESR Sanyo's....

KC8ADU, you mentioned in a previous post in this forum that you have had one of these board with the crap cap plague, I was just wondering what the symptoms were, and if you were successful or not... The seller indicated that the board wouldn't POST, and just beeped at him... I have recapped it, replacing a quantity of 17 - 1000uF 16v low ESR capacitors, and a quantity of 2 1500uF 10v low ESR caps.

Sadly, I'm unable to test it right now... I have plenty of CPU's and ECC RAM... However, I don't have a PCI video card, so I have no way of testing it at the moment... Yeh, I know that's pittiful.... I'll snag a PCI video card in the next day or two to find out... I was just curious about yours...

Let me know!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

mine is a 370dl3
    have a pile of p3dm3 and p3dlr too i just got.
    i recapped the 370 and it works fine.
    the nrsy caps had vented worse than yours.
    i didnt even bother to test it.
    recapped it just like an antique radio.
    all caps must go

Comment

It's already been recapped... I don't have a PCI video card to see if it's a success tho... I pulled 8 bulged caps, the rest appeared normal, but were replaced anyway... 3 of the 8 bulging caps splooged electrolyte gunk all over the PCB, so I'm sure it was a problem... Should all be cured now...

Guess I gotta track down a PCI video card... HEH...
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

bet it works just fine.
        i have done 150+ sm boards and have yet to see one to far gone to recap.

Comment

150+ SM boards?! Strangely, I haven't seen many of them for recapping... This one was the third I've recapped, the others were an older dual P2 Xeon, and a dual standard P2...

However, the VP6 count is up to 98, the KA7 count is 34, the hodge-podge of others is well over 100...

Just outta curiosity, what do you see the most of?
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

abit.
            lots of 7 series lately.

Comment

just got 6 more sm boards in for recapping.
              they were bought less than a year ago new.
              these are just unstable.caps look ok but the scope says they are shot.
              vcore shows 1.3v p-p!
              sop here is now to change all nrsy caps on sm boards then test further.
              customer brought a new piiidm3 in to recap before it gets installed!

Comment

Working...
              X