Epox 8K7A C1 Post Errors Resolved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epox 8K7A C1 Post Errors Resolved

I have four boards that I got from eBay that all have C1 post errors in the diagnostic LEDs on the board. This is the memory-detection part of POST, and it hangs here forever. Removing the memory sticks results in an undocumented E2 post error, which tells me the hardware is somewhat alive.

I recapped all the 2200uF with Rubycon MCZ, still had the problem. I then did the single 470uF, still had the problem.

The C1 problem was resolved by recapping the 1500uF with Rubycon MCZ.

None of the TEAPO 1500uF had obvious signs of failure. I did all except the two between the PCI slots, cuz I'm lazy and they are a pain in the ass to remove.

Re: Epox 8K7A C1 Post Errors Resolved

LMAO nice job... shame you're too lazy to swap out those between the PCI slots as it may come back and bite you!
    Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Thanks for posting that - I have a few 8K7A's with the same problem. I'll have to try recapping those 1500's and see if it helps.

Comment

I didn't want to waste a bunch of my Rubycons on a failed project, so I did it in the steps shown above. I had two leaker 2200, which I did first.

One interesting side effect is Memtest86 no longer has the Athlon failures on Tests 5 and 8. Every factory AMD 760 board I've tested fails on these tests, even though the system runs well.

The 8K7A was a substitute for a client's failing KG7 board. I didn't have the requisite 3300uF caps in stock, so I took a chance on the 8K7A instead. Both are AMD 760 chipsets, so I figure the Windows HAL won't get disturbed with the board exchange.

Comment

Most of the boards I have were apparently recapped by Epox previously - they have Sanyo WG 1800uF 16V or 3300uF 6.3V caps in place of the original 2200's. I think those are the same caps they used on their newer board models, which is why I assume Epox did the work. The 1500's are still originals though.

I haven't had many problems with test5/8 on the working boards really, but a few of them have failed that. In one case I fixed it by upgrading the Vmem caps to 3300uF mbz's.

I won't be able to try the 470uF caps since I don't have any, but I'll order some next time I have more stuff to order besides them.

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin
            I did all except the two between the PCI slots, cuz I'm lazy and they are a pain in the ass to remove.
            The one that's oriented with the poles up against the slots is the hardest, because you can't wiggle it the way you normally could by heating alternate legs with the iron. However, I've found that if you start by pushing it *sideways* then it will tilt over just enough that you can still get it loose the easy way.

Comment

Jumping from 2200 to 3300 is too scary for me. All my 8K7A boards are laced with TEAPO in the smaller caps, and the Nichicon HM crappers in the VRM caps.

I'm amazed this board is contuing to crank along. Been running Memtest86 and WinXP all day without a hiccup. The IDE2 channel was dead, and thought "oh shit, all that work..." but it turned out that both CD drives were dead. Popped in a new one from stock, and away it went.

Every Abit KG7 board I've installed fails Memtest86 tests 5,8. I've not done 8K7A new, so maybe the board doesn't fail. None of my 8K7A boards will boot or run anything until recapped, so I have no clue.

I just dropped another was with Wai-Fong for a Rubycon order. They stock the most popular caps, but not the ones I need for PSU recapping.

Comment

I did another 8K7A tonight, and checked all jumpers against the PDF manual (mistake). I fired up with a known-good PSU, and got the dreaded C1 post code.

I thought, "Oh crap, there goes a whole bunch of Rubycons down the toilet."

As it turned out, the PDF manual is wrong for the DDR voltage. I checked the silk screen art on the board itself, and they want +0.1v jumpering set for default DDR. I had it set at 0.0v.

As soon as I changed the jumper, it booted up fine. I replaced everything from 470uF and up with Rubycon MCZ. That is 30 caps if I counted correctly.

Comment

I did a 3rd 8K7A last night and screwed it up.

The board was known to work before recapping. I did a great recap job on it and was all done and ready to test. I went to remove the silly fan on the northbridge chip, and wound up snipping a tiny surface mount component labeled LA5.

Dead board.

And what a waste of all those Rubycon caps.

Comment

I pulled out the Rubycons out of this dead board and put them back into my stash.

Can any of the smart guys tell me if they are reusable or not? I was careful taking them out, and the (short) leads are straight and clean.

Another note about these boards... I had one good board left out of these four, then one of my chinchillas ate part of the good board and ruined it.

Darn.

I never even saw him get into it.

Comment

Yes you can reuse them. The main issue with caps are that they are not too tolerant to heat. Therefore if they got really hot for an extended period of time. Then their characteristics may have changed a bit. Having said this, if you were careful. It will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X