Resurrecting VP6 Unsuccessful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resurrecting VP6 Unsuccessful

I'm in a bit of a need in troubleshooting an unsuccessful recap. Being new to the forum and recapping I'm hopeful there was a detail I missed and that someone can help with.

Here's the history: I've been running a VP6 with two 1.0GHz processors and 1 Gb Ram as a home server for about 3 years (not overclocked). The system had a Highpoint RocketRaid 454 card in addition to the onboard raid. I was running the OS (Windows SBS 2003 Enterprise) on 4x30Gb Maxtor harddrives in a Raid 10 configuration off the Highpoint RocketRaid card. I was running a raid stripe on 2x120Gb Segate drives on the onboard Highpoint 370 raid controller. All hardrives were solo (master) on each channel. I replicated many of the server features I was installing at work to test and experiment with (different hardware, same software configurations for exchange, domain controller, file server...). All worked well until Feb 08.

After a wind storm passed through (not sure if that is relevant), I got a fatal error on the server (blue screen). Multiple harddrives had failed. I tried several reboots and never got past the windows splash screen before lock up, and could not recover any of the raid 10 drive failures (two drives had corrupted data). I decided to reinstall the OS. After booting from the CD, I could not get to the install/format of the raid array (4x30GB). The machine kept freezing. I looked at the MB and noted that 3 of 4 1000 caps were bulging at the top, and one was showing signs of leaking (brown junk coming from top). I tried to access the 2x120Gb harddrives in the bios screen and only 1 of 2 was reporting. Later determined that a board was blown on the second 120Gb drive (Lost all the data, family photos for past 7 years... this is another story about the wisdom of doing backups...). On my last attempt to reboot the pc. Nothing happened. No Bios, nothing (only red power led on VP6 was on). I suspected a bad power supply (Antec SL400 400Watt).

Having found your FAQ's and Forum, I read feverishly for several days and ordered a recap kit. I finished the recap over the weekend and reconstructed the pc. I had tested the 4x30GB hds on a different machine and all accepted formatting and appeared fine. I checked the power supply with a different board and again all seemed fine. I did not have another machine to validate the CPU's or RAM. The red led is again lit on the VP6 MB but nothing else... Any suggestions before I relinquish this board as trash.

Re: Resurrecting VP6 Unsuccessful

Recheck all your solder joints. remove te CMOS battery and close the clear CMOS jumper and let it sit a good 30 minutes. next power up, install only one CPU and one DIMM. If it worked before, it will work again unless you damaged it during the repair.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

open that power supply and inspect it too.
      oops now i see it is an antec.
      99.999% certain its loaded with fuhkkyu caps which have blown up.recap it too.
      if there were no burned coils or mosfets it should live.
      i still get a bunch of these in for recap and have a 99% save rate.
      i even sometimes fix ones with burnt parts if it didnt kill the northbridge.
      Last edited by kc8adu; 04-02-2008, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. TC, I'll give your suggestions a try this weekend as I will have a little more time then. I think I'll also take a look at the caps in the power supply then as well. I'll let you know how it goes (I've been spending the last several days working at a company making electronic timers and controls, and they have some sweet equipment for board repairs at their SMT machine and it makes me feel inadequate with the "hobbyist" equipment I'm using).

Comment

Okay, it took me more than a week to get back to this, but the VP6 board is back!

I'd like to close the loop on this thread. Here is what I did, I removed the board and inspected the solder joints, to my dismay, I found a few with suspect joints (I didn't think I sucked so bad at soldering). I reflowed all the cap joints and inspected again, all looked acceptable. I replaced the CMOS battery and this is when I noticed my error. I never set the CMOS Jumper back to the default setting last time, I just overlooked it several times. I reassembled the board to CPU et. al. and BAM up comes the BIOS screen. Thanks for the directions guys!

Comment

Took a look around the forum for a link to TC's mod bios for the VP6, I'd like to give it a shot now that I have my board running again.

Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by gchwala
              Took a look around the forum for a link to TC's mod bios for the VP6, I'd like to give it a shot now that I have my board running again.

Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

Thanks!
              pm me your email that will take attachments and i will send it over.
              i use it here and it is known stable.

Comment

Working...
              X