Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abit BX133 - Guess What..........

Bad caps..............Big surprize!

After recapping! Those are some PERTY RUBIES!

I also modded the BIOS for this board. I used the most recent OEM version and implemented the latest Highpoint RAID firmware, so the board can utilize HDD's larger than 137gb on the RAID controller. I'll upload that soon, with a linky for downloading.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Abit BX133 - Guess What..........

Hello.
    Can you send me link to bod bios.
    Thx.

Comment

Download <-- for board revision 1.2

Download <-- For board revision 2.0
      Attached Files
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

BX133-RAID uses the same BIOS as BE6-II v2.0

BTW. I recapped BE6-II v1.2 two days ago and was surprised that even the latest Abit BIOS has extremely old HPT370 BIOS - v0.95b So I put a new one inside (along with ABIT EPA logo).
        Last edited by Rainbow; 04-15-2007, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow

BTW. I recapped BE6-II v1.2 two days ago and was surprised that even the latest Abit BIOS has extremely old HPT370 BIOS - v0.95b So I put a new one inside (along with ABIT EPA logo).
          Hello, my first post here.

I have a BX133 board that i plan to recap and the revision sticker says "BX133-RAID v1.0".

Is the modified BE6-II v2.0 firmware intended for this board or is there a BX133 version 2.0.

BTW, it's pretty nasty;

When is it too late to consider recapping? This board still works but is really unstable.

--edit--

I've already had success using info from this site.

Thank You!

EPoX 8RGA

Last edited by gastorgrab; 05-13-2007, 10:31 AM.

Comment

if it still posts it has a 99.9% chance of survival.

Comment

These seem to be the locations of the capacitor on the board in front of me.

The sticker says "BX133-RAID V1.0" but i suppose there could be variations depending on the date of release.

Comment

Here are a couple of pics of the almost completed re-cap of BX133.

The only problem is that i completely ran out of flux cleaner. Before i power this board up i would like to have an unobstructed view of the solder joints.

Will the posted firmare work with this board?

--edit--

The light blue are leftover UCC LXZ's from the first board i did. The rest are Rubycon MBZ, and MCZ.

Comment

OK, i finally talked my sister into getting a power supply and everything is up and running.

The fan headers don't work!

They didn't work before but i assumed it was a bad capacitor problem. This was a common complaint with this and the BE6II if i remember correctly.

I flashed the modified bios too but havn't had a chance to play with it yet.

----------------------------

BTW, i'm now told that this board would't post at all before the cap change.

To BadCaps.net.

Thank You.
                  Last edited by gastorgrab; 06-16-2007, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Non-working fan headers are caused by a damaged transistor. It's probably located near one of the headers.

Comment

Could this be it? I'm no good at all with this surface mounted stuff and this is the only thing in the vicinity that could be a transistor.

The only problem with it is that if you include the tab there are 4 legs to this device.

If this the bad part then there is no way i'm touching it or any other surface mounted component.

It's fixed enough for me.

------------------------------

I remember when i first started to question the fan headers. The CPU was getting pretty hot and wondered if the fan was going bad since it was only turning at half speed.

I eventually settled on the same fix you see here.........well after lapping the heatsink that had warped.

I could still take the tachometer pin out and put it in its own connector.
                      Last edited by gastorgrab; 06-17-2007, 06:04 PM.

Comment

That's still a 3 terminal device.. The tab at the top should be connected to the middle pin.. It's just a better way of mounting a device like that has to dissipate heat without having t heatsink it separately..

That could be Vtt for the DIMM's or the VR for the FSB clkgen.. The little guys right by the headers look like they may be transistors too..

Comment

I guess that the offending transistor is one of the tiny 4 that are near the fan headers.

Comment

It's too bad Panasonic doesn't make a cap comparable to the MCZ so you could recap the board and yell "THOSE ARE SOME PRETTY PANNY'S!"
                            Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow

I just got one of these beauty BX133-RAID.

1) what are the best caps for me to recap it? Panasonic? Rubbycon? UCC?
                              2) Is there any difference between BIOS for rev1.02 and for rev2.0? Actually the stick on the ISA connector slor on mine says rev 1.01. So I was wondering wich BIOS should I put on it....

Thanks. (if someone knows where to find good caps for this board in Brasil, please let me know).

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Gaucho
                                1) what are the best caps for me to recap it? Panasonic? Rubbycon? UCC?
                                I recapped one of these a long time ago. I used Rubycon MBZ for the 8mm 1500's and UCC KZE for the 1000's, but this was only because of availability. They worked out well anyway. The hardest part is the 1500's, which need to be 8mm diameter in order to fit properly, so you may have trouble finding those. There aren't many series that will fit there, but MBZ and MCZ are 2 of them.

Comment

Panasonic FJ is comparable to the MCZ, but only time will tell if it is equally durable. 1500/6.3/8 mm is available in low-ESR Panasonic FK, but not sure about the ultra-low ESR options. Nichicon HD is good but 10 mm, and UCC KZG is 8 mm but failure prone.

Comment

Working...
                                  X