K7N2 Delta2 Memory Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K7N2 Delta2 Memory Bugs

I acquired this board from an eBay seller. It is populated with all upper quality caps. No craps.

The installed Sempron 3200/200 FSB runs DDR-266 just fine, but chokes on Corsair XMS, DDR400. Go figure. Memtest runs 24+ hours on the DDR-266, but Test 5 barfs repeatedly with the Corsair.

I've twiddled voltages between stock 2.6 up to the Corsair recommended 2.75v for this pair. Matched set of 1gb as Dual Channel. Stock clocking. I even slowed down the CAS speeds... no luck.

These two memory sticks run Memtest86+ for days with zero errors in an Intel D875PBZ board. I don't think the sticks are bad... but the MSI board sure doesn't like them. I'll install the DRR-266 for the client, and run it that way... but it would be nice to use the full DDR-400.

Thoughts, anybody?

Re: K7N2 Delta2 Memory Bugs

Maybe the chipset can't address all memory chips or low level parameters are incompatible: think your Corsair ram may be too advanced for the Via KT266 chipset.

Zandrax
    Have an happy life.

Comment

@zandrax: it's a Nforce2-U board.

Have you checked the latency settings? Higher (slower) values than specified, especially CAS, can cause errors in some combinations (and SPD values aren't always correct).
      What about spread spectrum?
      You might as well disable the dual channel mode, it doesn't make a difference.
      "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

If I remember correctly, fellow forum member, Pentium also had similar issues with his K7N2 Delta 2 regarding the memory installed. I don't know if this is of any help but anyway you can check https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...highlight=K7N2 for some more info.
        Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

All K7N2 are nvidia chipsets (N2..) I refuse to use VIA.

Yes, as noted above, I have changed the CAS settings. Slowing down the FSB to 100 will let the Corsair run OK. This is unacceptable, but it runs OK. the error is confined to bit 03 being hot, most of the time.

I have some different DDR400 arriving tonight, so I will give that a test. This is a client machine, so I don't have much free time to spend on diagnostics. I'm buried in work, and this has to get off the bench and out the door. It came in with DDR-266, and will probably go out with DDR-266.

Comment

Follow-up on the memory problem... I pulled the 2x1gb Corsair XMS DDR400 from the machine, and replaced with a set of Corsair Value Select 2x1gb DDR400. The machine is a happy camper... Memtest86+ runs for days with zero errors.

Voltages in both cases are 2.7v, auto negotiated by the BIOS from the SPD value. CAS are SPD defaults. At first I thought the XMS was bad, but it performs flawlessly in an Intel D875PBZ board.

The interesting part of this whole experiment is, there is a definite point of diminishing returns on Dollars vs. Performance. Unless you strike a serious deal with an eBay sale, one is better off buying a Core2 Duo and modest P35 board, than wasting most of that money on socket 462 or P4 boards.

I paid almost as much for a D875PBZ and P4 3.4 GHz Northwood as I would for a P35 and Conroe. And... DDR2-800 is cheaper than DDR-400. Unless you have a bunch of parts in the bin, there is no reason to tinker with yesterdays hardware.

Comment

Sorry bgavin: I mismatched Via for nVidia.

@ stevo: bgavin's Corsairs aren't registered modules. Pentium had troubles becuse he put server ram into a desktop motherboard.

Originally posted by bgavin
              I paid almost as much for a D875PBZ and P4 3.4 GHz Northwood as I would for a P35 and Conroe. And... DDR2-800 is cheaper than DDR-400. Unless you have a bunch of parts in the bin, there is no reason to tinker with yesterdays hardware.
              Well, you may need a feature available only on old motherboard, such as Isa or Agp slots. However, I agree that picking a lot of used components may be antieconomical compared to new and improved / more powerful pieces.

Zandrax
              Have an happy life.

Comment

Working...
              X