Specific Caps Keeps Venting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Specific Caps Keeps Venting

Hi all. So I've got this neat motherboard. It's an HP version of the Asus TR-DLS, included in the tc3100 server. It was working perfectly fine last time I used it, which was about 4 years ago. It has been in dry storage since and was in perfect cosmetic condition...

...except: three of the large caps near the CPU had randomly fallen out. This was due to weak solder joints as I was able to remove another one with very little force. After redoing all the joints for the related caps (competently - no shorts, etc.) and powering up the board, it ran for 2 seconds before one of the caps vented and the board shut down. I thought this was due to physical damage to the cap, so I replaced it. I didn't have an exact match (Rubycon 1200uF, 12V) so I replaced it with something close (Rubycon 1500uF, 12V) and the exact same thing happened.

Am I right in thinking that this suggests something else is damaged and too much voltage / too many amps are going through the cap in question? I can't see any physical damage, so I'm not really sure where to start. Any help would be gladly appreciated, as this is my dual Tualatin board. Many thanks.

Attached Files
    Last edited by brassicGamer; 11-22-2021, 06:11 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Specific Caps Keeps Venting

Make sure you oriented them as originally. On most Asus/Pegatron boards the marking for capacitor polarity is reversed.
    Also cap should be 16V not 12V if it's on the VRM input.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Re: Specific Caps Keeps Venting

Originally posted by piernov View Post
      Make sure you oriented them as originally. On most Asus/Pegatron boards the marking for capacitor polarity is reversed.
      Also cap should be 16V not 12V if it's on the VRM input.
      Wow. Thank you. I checked old photos and can confirm the markings are the problem. I hope more damage hasn't been caused. I double-checked and it's definitely 16V btw.

Comment

Working...
      X