Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iMac 2017 4K Problems

hi guys I have the above iMac

and im trying to figure out where there is a short on a logic board / motherboard.

I have narrowed the area down to the highlighted sections in the attached photo's but I have no idea where to start or what to remove first to try and see if the fault goes ?

there is a short on all the caps in the area both sides of them

thanks for any ideas or help.
    Attached Files
    Samsung UE46D6530
    Samsung BD-F7500
    Samsung HT-ES6200

Re: iMac 2017 4K Problems

Start with the logic # etched on the circuit board.

It should be of the format '820-xxxx' - perhaps a schematic is available for your logic board.

Comment

thanks for the reply I have the schematic and board view file.

but im trying to work out where to start with the shorts and so far its only in the area highlighted both sides of the logic board.
      Samsung UE46D6530
      Samsung BD-F7500
      Samsung HT-ES6200

Comment

When you say short - what is the resistance to ground that you are reading ? Also be cautious that low voltage rails like the CPU / GPU will be with a low resistance reading. This is normal. Post more details on the resistance that you are observing.

What are the symptoms of this box ? How many LEDs are lit on the POST ?

Comment

hi again

I can confirm no led's are lit on the logic board at all.

ive not tried resistance to ground ive just been testing continuity mode and found that all the caps in that area are shorted.

but when I test others on the logic board there is no beep.

what should I be looking for in the resistance reading ?

many thanks
          Samsung UE46D6530
          Samsung BD-F7500
          Samsung HT-ES6200

Comment

If you have no LED's, check you have 12V coming from the power supply first. If that is good, then usually means the PP3V3_S5 is missing (usually due to a shorted C7640 or C7641).

You are going up a dead end with your first post. All caps in this area will measure near short because they either feed the PCH, CPU or GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by reformatt View Post
              If you have no LED's, check you have 12V coming from the power supply first. If that is good, then usually means the PP3V3_S5 is missing (usually due to a shorted C7640 or C7641).

You are going up a dead end with your first post. All caps in this area will measure near short because they either feed the PCH, CPU or GPU.
              hi thanks for the reply

I have checked the power coming from the PSU and the voltages are there.

ill check the caps you have mentioned when I can locate them lol (sorry im a newb at this thing)

thanks for the thing about the caps measuring near short. I didnt know that.
              Samsung UE46D6530
              Samsung BD-F7500
              Samsung HT-ES6200

Comment

Originally posted by reformatt View Post

hi again I have checked C7640 as you said and its shorted.

and C7641 is showing shorted.
                Samsung UE46D6530
                Samsung BD-F7500
                Samsung HT-ES6200

Comment

Working...
                X