Rx 580 8gb powercolor red dragon not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rx 580 8gb powercolor red dragon not working

Hello to everyone, I've bought a not working Powercolor RX580 8GB to try to fix it; Immediately with a multimeter I've seen that on 12Vdc that we can found 8pin and 6pin connectors there is only 700Ohm between the 12Vdc power line and GND; also someone has tried to rework the board, I've seen both mosfet 4C05N are in short circuit between drain and source (bad soldering work I can say, see image).
    I'll try remove the mosfets to see if the low isolation disappear, does anyone have this board? can you tell which mosfet do you have mounted? do you have some schematics? do you have a board view with the exact position of every main components?
    I'll appreciate every contribute
    Attached Files

Re: Rx 580 8gb powercolor red dragon not working

Here is photos of mine if it helps
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the photos; may I ask you to measure resistance between 12V (6p connector) and GND? Do you get exactly an open circuit? or if not how many ohms? thanks

Comment

6 pin is not fitted, but starts at about 500r and rises to 1.5k, as does the 8 pin connector. I took a better photo of your reworked area.
        Attached Files

Comment

Quite a few differences between the boards actually, my vcore mosfets are discrete yours are integrated power stages, bios switch in a different location, etc.

Comment

I've seen also this area has been touched, does anyone knows which component was the one indicated by the arrow? I think this part was dedicated to fan control.
            Attached Files

Comment

I can't answer what the missing component is. However looking at that photo it looks like someone was playing with the shunt resistors doing a power mod. I can't tell if those resistors we're replaced or it was a failed attempt to stack them regardless I think someone melted some other components off with a hot air gun. Anyways even if you find your missing part I'd make sure those 2 shunt resistors are correct.

Comment

Sorry, just one note I made a typo the card is Powercolor RX580 Red Devil, not Red Dragon sorry for the mistake.

Comment

From the pictures on this website seems that it's ok that the component is not mounted, I'll continue my investigation.

PS: My card is the golden sample one

https://videocardz.com/68228/devil-caught-in-the-act
                  Last edited by LexNox; 02-27-2022, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I'm guessing those 2 replaced 0 ohm links route the 6pin 12v to the memory VRM and blew when it failed. I would try to ascertain if the board is repairable before wasting too much time on it, what resistance to ground do you have on the "repaired" VRM coil? It can also sometimes be useful to remove the coil to find out which side of it there may be a problem.

Comment

There are around 970 Ohm between R33M coil and GND

Comment

Working...
                      X