Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick 861DW What temperature and airflow to use

Guys,
    what temperature and airflow do you use when desoldering/soldering parts on graphics cards?
    I use Quick 861DW station.
    Is it necessary to use preheater for also for small ICs or for GPU only?

Thanks for replies

Re: What temperature and airflow to use

without preheating soldering take much longer which is not good for components and board. it helps a lot

Comment

Re: Quick 861DW What temperature and airflow to use

Originally posted by Jane View Post
      Guys,
      what temperature and airflow do you use when desoldering/soldering parts on graphics cards?
      I use Quick 861DW station.
      Is it necessary to use preheater for also for small ICs or for GPU only?

Thanks for replies
      90% percent air flow 420 degree Celcius is what I use on my Atten ST-862D

Comment

Re: Quick 861DW What temperature and airflow to use

It's something you have to experiment with each station, even those of the same model due to calibration differences, the nozzle you use and how far/close you have the nozzle. You should experiment on donor boards first.

The heat and airflow is primarily dependant on the board you are working with. Multi-layer boards with big groundplanes (like on MAC's) take longer to get to temperature as groundplanes are acting like a heatsink. Laptop boards like Compal, Wistron etc take less heat. I have a Quick TR1300 - I use 450 degress at 50 for MAC's, 430/40 for PC lappies. Temps/airflow get adjusted up a bit if the component isn't moving after more than a minute.

Thermal stress can be an issue for some components like memory IC's. In these cases, a pre-heater will allow you to get in and out much faster as you aren't having to heat up the rest of the board. I usually bring the board up to temp a bit first before going in proper regardless though. Also be careful to let the board cool down before cleaning or testing.

Comment

Working...
        X