Gigabyte GA-7VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte GA-7VA

I just went through the drill on a Gigabyte GA-7VA . Swapped out drives, memory, and a power supply before checking the caps. Believe it or not this thing was still running but would become unresponsive a couple of times a day.

"Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on earth" -- Crime and Punishment, Fyodor Dostoevsky (1821-1881)

Re: Gigabyte GA-7VA

that usually what most gigabyte mobo's look like when they get here.
    (looks at stack of ga-7zx waiting for recap)
    welcome to badcaps!

Comment

I've got another gigabyte mobo in production and I'll have to keep an eye on it. It's probably 5-6 years newer than that GA-7VA (don't recall the model offhand) but I don't know that I can trust any of em.

I got a new Tyan this year and spent some extra coin so I hope I don't end up here again! Yipee.
      "Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on earth" -- Crime and Punishment, Fyodor Dostoevsky (1821-1881)

Comment

Hi Dr Cherry, welcome

Thats part of the problem, they do run for a while with badcaps but you never know when they are going to lock up reboot or do other strange things.

So if you don't know about the badcaps situation you tend to blame everything but the Hardware.

This forum has probably saved a few people from sore ears and going bald prematurely.

check the MB version by a search here but Gigabyte have used crappy caps so beware
        there a good chance its got them.

Cheers
        You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Be thankful those 2x 1200uF caps didn't incinerate themselves. When one shows up with those burnt beyond recognition, plan on replacing FET's too.

<--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Hi all

TC a question if you don't mine, is it these two caps you are referring too?
            (That are the 1200 uF)

I notice they are a different brand
            cant recall what it is thought (green gold writing cover) I think they still fall in to the somewhat crap category if memory serves.

the others are marked choyo

Thanks

Cheers
            Attached Files
            You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

gsc or choyo
              both junk.
              i have seen those burn up the vrm when they launch off the board and leak out the bung.

Comment

Starfury, KC8 is correct. Replace them ASAP!
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Thank you KC8 & TC

I was just after confirmation it was those 2 caps marked we were talking about.
                  (to be sure)

I have recapped the Gigabyte MB
                  Had blown GSC crap on it and replaced with (as willawake did) Panasonic FM, dont look pritty but works well
                  (GA-7ZXE)

Cheers

Comment

My Gigabyte GA-7ZM still has Choyo & the other I can't remember, but it's running AOK in a well ventiled case powering a 1.1Ghz T'bird off a HEC 200w PSU

I do keep an eye on them, but after more than 12 months there's still no sign of damage nor symptoms, not bad considering it was a second hand board before I got it
                    Viva LA Retro!

Comment

I have a GA-7VAXP that had those GSC crap caps on it and they were very crusty on top. I ended up replacing every cap on the board with some nichicon's about six months ago and it has rock solid every since, now my ps2 ports stopped working but the caps look OK.

Comment

It probably blew a polyfuse that's on the rail that supplies power to the keyboard and mouse. BTW, PS2 keyboards and mice are *not* designed to be hot-pluggable, though people do that all the time.

Comment

i have seen tiny inductors open near ps/2 and mouse.
                          mostly on pcchips but sometimes on others.
                          probably due to someone plugging something wrong/bad into it.
                          look for fuses,polyswitches,fusable resistors, near the ports too.
                          do the lights blink on the kb on powerup?
                          does an optical mouse light?

Comment

Working...
                          X