Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with identifing Caps from a 8800GTS Video card.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with identifing Caps from a 8800GTS Video card.

Originally posted by eclypse
    Wow.. Thanks for the info. Though i have some questions for those who know.. is it possable to solder on a surface mount cap with just a low wattage iron? Say 12 WATT? Do i have to use a heatgun and the right tip?
    Oh wait.. your in Sweden and i'm in MI USA.

Comment

Yea, so the flight will take an extra 6 hours to you, depending on which way around the globe they fly

You will need a very good temperature controlled iron to do this work, soldering these components will require very good skills, especially fixing the trace(s) around the broken coil, and soldering the small broken SMT resistor
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Holy cow batman, the card is coming in today as it hit my local post office early this morning! God i cant wait to see it.

Sucks that today the family is headin out to the Circus Damnit man..

What tools do i need to solder on a surface mount cap? A good heatgun? ALl the heatguns i see come with a 10x10mm 4 sided tip.. It would fit but theres only 2 solder spots on the cap.. Does that matter or do i need a tip that has 2 sides? I also have seen a pair of hot tweezers. Would that work ok as well?

So if i go with a heatgun i'll need solder paste as well right? Which kind? 200c Heatgun be fine?

Or do i just go with a regular cap and try to make it look as clean as possable using a regular soldering iron?

Comment

Looks like i was sold a card that is not possable to fix.. i asked for pics of the memory chpis and that northbridge looking chip and if they had any damage cause they were all covered up with thermo paste and pads.

The seller (sabregen) uploaded 4 pics showing the chips.. ofcourse the pic with the northbridge looking chip was blurry and had some thermo residue on it so i really could'nt tell.. So since he didnt comment on the damage i figured he ment they were all good.

So i get the card today around 2PM.. All excited i open it up and pull the card out and look right at the chips and see some more chips that are nicked up that was'nt mentioned.. Ok so there may be a chance there still funtional.. Check the broken chip with the torn PCB under it and who knows if thats fixable.. I'll have to ask. Though once i look at that northbridge looking chip i see a chipped edge! Looks pretty major and toast to me! No chance for repair not reason to keep on debating about what caps to get and tools to buy to attempt a repair as that chipped chip kills the deal.

Check the pics.. Clear pics..

Let me know what you think.

Comment

maybe you can sell the cooler and get some of your money back. otherwise the card looks shot.

Comment

Working...
            X