Soyo Dragon2 kt880 v2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soyo Dragon2 kt880 v2.0

My recently purchased Soyo Dragon2 kt880 v2.0 shows power (LED) and fans spin up on power up but gives no POST or error codes.
    I tried many tricks and was able to get the board to give error codes and then POST exactly once, but it returned to its long slumber after rebooting. I am using known good components and tested with two different power supplies (one 300W and one 550W) and bare minimum else installed.
    When the board arrived it smells of what I thought might be cat urine (or bad electolyte?). None of the caps are visibly bad, but the smell does seem stronger near the memory slot power area (elc31).
    The board was apparently pulled in working condition and stored for a while before I acquired it. I'm not certain if: a) cat urine b) leaking electrolyte c) dried capacitors d) some combination of the above conditions.

I'd like to save the board but I'd like to be certain of the actual problem before continuing. I am decent with an iron and have access to an oscilliscope, but don't have all the equipment I will need.

There are a ton of capacitors on this board all Evercon, all marked T48A.
    6) 3300uf - CPU socket
    3) 1500ug - main power regulation
    19) 1000uf - all over the board
    and various other smaller caps...

Here are my questions:
    1) Any suggestions on further diagnosing the board *before* recapping are welcome. Checking for ripple, voltage drop, etc.

2) Anyone ever try "washing" a board to remove salts (urine) shorting the PCB. I've read some accounts of mist washing a PCB, but I see that as a very last resort. Any comments?

3) Any caps that probably aren't worth replacing on this board? Especially the 1000uf ones that are all over the place on this board...

4) I don't see this board but once on these forums. Is that because they aren't often bad or just less commonly encountered?

I won't have time to pick this project back up til summer, but I will read all comments, answer questions, and post pictures as requested until then.
    Thanks everyone, this site is great.
    Linux, helping you separate the wheat from the shaft.

Re: Soyo Dragon2 kt880 v2.0

washing
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

If you remove the CMOS battery you can actually spray it down with windex or simple green.
      Flush that off well with very hot water. (Not like boiling, hotest from the tap.)
      Follow that up by flushing with isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) [preferably 90-91%].
      Alcohol removes water and evaporates leaving no residue.
      Make sure the alcohol flushes under all the chips and through all the sockets.
      I put it in a squirt bottle myself and squirt under the chips and tight spots.
      - Do it outside or with a BIG window open and a fan.
      - Or you may see 2 or 3 motherboards before you are done.
      Then put it in a warm room with a window open and a fan on it for a day or so.

Sound scary?
      I have recovered equipment that got immersed in seawater this way.
      It works.

~~~

Now, about Soyo Motherboards.
      Replace all caps that have vents.
      They usually use OST, G-Luxon, Evercon, and Sacon.
      If I remeber right G-Luxon became Sacon who became Evercon.
      (Same company different name.)
      You're lucky if they are stable for a year with 'stock' caps. ...
      .... but they are pretty decent boards with good caps on them.
      If all it needs is cleaned and capped it'll be worth it.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by Tashlan
        My recently purchased Soyo Dragon2 kt880 v2.0 shows power (LED) and fans spin up on power up but gives no POST or error codes.
        I tried many tricks and was able to get the board to give error codes and then POST exactly once, but it returned to its long slumber after rebooting. I am using known good components and tested with two different power supplies (one 300W and one 550W) and bare minimum else installed.
        When the board arrived it smells of what I thought might be cat urine (or bad electolyte?). None of the caps are visibly bad, but the smell does seem stronger near the memory slot power area (elc31).
        Cats marking their territory on the motherboard? That's LOL!
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
          If you remove the CMOS battery you can actually spray it down with windex or simple green.
          Flush that off well with very hot water. (Not like boiling, hotest from the tap.)
          Follow that up by flushing with isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) [preferably 90-91%].
          Alcohol removes water and evaporates leaving no residue.
          Make sure the alcohol flushes under all the chips and through all the sockets.
          I put it in a squirt bottle myself and squirt under the chips and tight spots.
          - Do it outside or with a BIG window open and a fan.
          - Or you may see 2 or 3 motherboards before you are done.
          Then put it in a warm room with a window open and a fan on it for a day or so.

Sound scary?
          I have recovered equipment that got immersed in seawater this way.
          It works.

~~~

Now, about Soyo Motherboards.
          Replace all caps that have vents.
          They usually use OST, G-Luxon, Evercon, and Sacon.
          If I remeber right G-Luxon became Sacon who became Evercon.
          (Same company different name.)
          You're lucky if they are stable for a year with 'stock' caps. ...
          .... but they are pretty decent boards with good caps on them.
          If all it needs is cleaned and capped it'll be worth it.

My Soyo SY-K7VTA-B motherboard has Wendell caps near the processor and Rifeking caps near the RAM slots. Even with those caps, still working like a charm! The only thing I was required to do was replace the CMOS battery.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I've had one 7VBA133U (P3 Tualatin), two P4VGA (VIA P4M266A based), one P4I865PE (i865) and three P4I865PE v1.0 (i865).
            -
            They all had different combinations of those caps I mentioned.
            -
            I wasn't even sure if Soyo used anything else.
            -
            I think some of the OST's were fake. Their data tables don't show caps with that uF/volts combination in that can size. Also the vent stamps were odd in that it looked like the vents were stamped after the sleeve was on. (Edge of the sleeves were pressed into the vent grooves in places.) - The Sacon, G-Luxons, and Evercons had the same thing going on. I'm thinkin' they all came down the same assembly line.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Thank you everyone for the tips and advice. I have put in my order for caps and am planning to attack this project over the summer.
              I have decided on a 3 stage process. Wash, bake (to reflow any poor joints), and recap. I am also planning a PS recap if I can get replacement caps for that.
              I will post results either way once it is finished.
              Linux, helping you separate the wheat from the shaft.

Comment

Working...
              X