Dell Dimension 8300.... HN(M) again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Dimension 8300.... HN(M) again!

Got a Dell in the shop tonight, originally came in for spyware gut I noticed it's instability wasn't just a bad case of Vundo (a smitfraud variant).....

It's the infamous skinny 820uF 6.3V HN(M) again....popped. There are four of these things and five yellow K vent Fujitsu polymer caps that are 4V, 560uF. I think I'll just add the rest of the polymers or something really similar.

Looks like an i865P chipset.... It has dual channel DDR and an AGP slot. The GeForce FX 5200 had no bad caps.... all Sanyos.

Re: Dell Dimension 8300.... HN(M) again!

Yep. I have nothing but bad results with those HN populated boards. I replace them all as a matter of course. Every 'lytic from 470uF and up gets replaced.

Vundo seems to be rampant at the moment. It is a nasty little bug to shed, plus the removal tool runs a LONG time.

Comment

I do Vundo removals mostly by hand. That's often faster.

Comment

Recapped with some Nichicon 560uF polymers.... erratic behavior is fixed.

Time to reformat this SOB.... it's got more issues than Vundo. Little bugs here and there that only a reformat can squash without wasting my time.

Comment

Same here except I have this done with rubycon caps and solid wires last year. Here's this pic. Yes I own this 8300. I know this would be bit of a issue with the flying solid wires bec these six caps were fat. The solder connections were made with hooked together wires not lapped. 12.5mm instead of 10mm I needed badly.

What do you think? Works well even you see this way as suboptimal, all I need is to get right caps then I can straighten this out later.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/jpero/allpar_forum/dim8300.jpg

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

I don`t see a problem with your mounting technique. May be the capacitors pick up more heat from the mosfets, but probably the thick copper layer around them will conduct the same amount of heat or even more to the capacitor leads.

Comment

Thanks, good to know. I am aware of this, there are air space under these caps so there is no issues with heat.

By the way the heatsink is incorrect. This heatsink uses blower that blows the air straight back out thru the rear vent. I need to locate correct heatsink and shound on ebay.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

That should be just fine....that HUGE trace soaks up a LOT of heat. Yeah....you need the HS that is flipped 90 degrees..... there is a dual heatpipe variant, grab that one!

The customer has not called back to complain.... and their neighbor reports that they are very pleased so that makes me happy.

Comment

Working...
                X