Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I need to recap my KT7A RAID

Hi all (1st post)...

I know this is an old board, but I just need something that is reliable and works well...

Right now this board seems to be ok with no bulging caps but I have had it freeze and lock up a few times, so I think it needs a recap. I think there were Jackson and Teapo caps on there, this is from memory, as I'm using the machine right now to type this post.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has a list of the caps that need to be changed for this board, and I'm going to be ordering a load of cable from Farnell anyway, and postage is free is you order over a certain amount from them. If there some sort of database which says what caps are on what board as I also have 3 DFI ultra infinity socket A board that appear to be dead...

Re: I think I need to recap my KT7A RAID

The easiest solution is to pop open the case, take a nice picture with a digital camera. I would than suggest you print it out. A photo can seriously help you out when you are changing the capacitors over. You could than mark the capacitor values and the voltage on the diagram. Oh and don't forget to mark the polarity. Some motherboards seem to deliberately insert capacitors by following to opposite sign convention. Therefore you would have made your own list!

By the way, it can get very difficult to get exactly the same capacitance within the physical space limitations. It is usually alright to up or down in capacitance by around one standard value. For example, I had to use 2200uF capacitors instead of 2700uF capacitors that were on my motherboard before I recapped it.
    Last edited by shadow; 06-09-2008, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Well I managed to find a pretty good pic of it:

I'll have to print it out and mark what caps are what later. Thanks for the tip, great idea.

Comment

Every one of my KT7 boards required recapping. I have both Abit and Epox boards with this chipset. Some of the caps are a bit odd-ball sized, so I was patient until I found some Panasonic FM on eBay at a reasonable price.

I'm no expert but I think dropping down in capacitance is more risky than going higher. Perhaps this is less a risk when using ultra-low ESR caps. The ones on your board are shit. Replace with Samxon GA or Rubycon MCZ.

Buy your cap kits here from Topcat. You will pay a lot buying only a few chips on the open market. I own a computer service business so I buy in 200pc bags from Hong Kong to get a decent price.

Comment

Doh, I forgot to but my location in before, but I'm from the UK so I'm not sure if I'll be able to order the kit from Topcat. This is a shame really as the exchange rate it really good for buying things from the US right now...

I'll probably get as many from farnell as I can, I'm guessing you changed every electrolytic cap on the board? There's an awful lot!

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin
            Every one of my KT7 boards required recapping. I have both Abit and Epox boards with this chipset. Some of the caps are a bit odd-ball sized, so I was patient until I found some Panasonic FM on eBay at a reasonable price.
            Are you thinking of the KG7? KT7 is a VIA KT133 board.
            Still, the caps are probably very similar.

Comment

KG7 is AMD chipset, with VIA southbridge. My Epox and other Abit boards have KT133 chipsets. AMD T-bird processors.

Comment

Working...
              X