Gigabyte GA-7DX+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte GA-7DX+

I have the 7DX+ rev.1.0 board with bad caps.
    The only bad caps seem to be the four around the CPU.
    All are Choyo 3300uF 6.3v.

It was running fine even with the blown caps, although eventually starting it got tough, then one day it didn't start at all. I have soldered stuff before but never anything as small as this thing. I am not even sure I will bother to repair it. Just figured I would post the pics.

I don't know if there is a way to post in-line. I couldn't figure it out, so they are as attachments.
    Attached Files

Re: Gigabyte GA-7DX+

Test to see if I can post image inline.

Comment

If this is the board I'm remembering, then there are several empty pads nearby which are connected to Vcore in parallel with those 4 (confirm with multimeter). This makes it convenient for substitutions, in case you don't find an exact replacement. In fact a larger number of smaller caps (roughly same total capacitance) would be an improvement from what Gigabyte installed.

Comment

I bought another Socket A mainboard online. It was an Asrock refurbished board but it looked brand new when I got it in the mail. I am very happy with it (so far). I think this Gigabyte board is going to go in the trashcan. I am aware that they contain toxins, so far it is sitting on a shelf. If I can find someplace to recycle it I am going to do that rather than a landfill. The refurbished board I got cost less than the tools and caps I would need to fix the old board. I would do it anyway as a project, but I doubt my ability to actually make a worthwhile repair, plus I don't have a use for the board anymore. Not to mention I don't have any money to spare.

Comment

FWIW

I recapped a GA-7DX+ cos its got an AMD761 and ECC Reg RAM

Used all the spare cap locations; 10 in total for the O/P VRM;
          2 of Pana FM 6.3V 1500UF and
          8 of Pana FM 6.3V 1200uF
          Total capacitance VRM O/P side - 12600uF

Input VRM
          2 of Pana FM 10V 1200uF and
          2 of Pana FM 10V 1500uF
          Total capacitance VRM I/P side - 5400uF