Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HD 7850 - Powers on, fan spins, no video....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HD 7850 - Powers on, fan spins, no video....

Originally posted by piernov View Post
    Xbox One and PS4 use an APU, not a discrete CPU+GPU.
    Right. I just meant to say in terms of GPU capabilities.

From experience AMD CPU very rarely fail compared to ATi/AMD GPUs. APU may fail a bit more often.
    I haven't seen any dead AMD CPUs since the socket 462 era (where typically someone would either run one without the heatsink or just not clamped properly.) I heard people have reported failures with AM4/Ryzen CPUs, but have not seen one personally.
    And yes, AMD/ATI GPUs fail exponentially more frequently.
    APUs - I have a dead A8-6500k (came in a lot of scrap CPUs from eBay - mostly P4's and working.) Was quite surprised when I saw it not work.

In my opinion the HD 6000 series had the highest failure rate. This is especially true with mobile chips. For example all the MacBook Pro 15"/17" 2011 had failing HD 6000M, same goes for iMac 2011. But other manufacturers were affected too of course. However it might also be biased because the HD 7000 series was less popular (in laptops at least).
    Well, also, mobile chips are typically under higher thermal stress (due to limited cooling.) So I think that's contributing a great deal, too.
    Again, in terms of what I'm seeing on the used market, there are a lot more dead HD7k cards than HD6k cards, regardless of availability/stock. Of course, this seems to be true only for the HD6k that have good cooling systems. So ones like my Gigabyte HD6850 with the dual fans and a decent heatsink are almost never listed for parts or repair. But move over to the cheaper cards with one fan and/or a crappy HS, and the failure rate seems to increase a lot. With the HD7k and R9 200 series, however, I see dead cards even with supposedly really good heatsinks.

So I think the 4k, 5k, and 6k cards can be fairly reliable with good cooling. But the 7k and R9 200 series, I don't think it matters anymore.

Reliability had been steadily decreasing starting from around the X1000 series, but it wasn't really concerning back then, really started being a problem with HD 4000-HD 7000.
    Yeah, seems about right. I'd say the HD 2k and 3k were actually pretty robust, all things considered with how hot they ran (especially high-end HD2k.) I looked at a stock cooling profile of a few of my HD3870 cards, and basically they are all set to ramp the fan RPM up only once the GPU core reaches 80C.

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
    IIRC the HD3400 series (and 3200 IGPs) weren't bright either.
    Yes, the chipsets with IGP did indeed seem to have a fairly high failure rate... though it should be noted that those also ran fairly hot, so that may be the contributing factor here, IMO. On the desktop side, HD2400 and HD3450 cards are abundant in working condition. In fact, I have not seen one of these boogers ever fail.

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
    Intels seem to survive, but those run nVidia chips.
    Ehm... no... only the Intels with the Intel chipsets seem to survive well. Anything with nVidia chipset has always been a problem worse than any AMD/ATI chipset, IME - and that's regardless of desktop or laptop.
    Last edited by momaka; 05-29-2021, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X