Samsung 55inch SmartTV strange artefact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 55inch SmartTV strange artefact

Hello, I may be interested in buying a TV that has an intermittent problem. Sorry that I don't know the TV model, yet, all I know is it's a 55 inch SmartTV.

The problem is, sometimes there is a black triangle that appears at the top left corner, and it seems there is also a small vertical bar from the bottom left corner (see the picture), and the tv turns off by itself.

I couldn't find a similar problem here or anywhere in the universe, mainly because I don't really know what to search for.

Any idea what can be the cause of this problem ? Bad motherboard, bad TCON, or bad panel ?

I would say it's a bad TCON but I'm not sure, hence my post here, before I buy this tv and realize it's a bad panel...

Also, just saying, on the previous Samsung SmartTV that I opened (UE49KU6400), there were no TCON board, it was integrated to the motherboard...

Thanks in advance and happy new year!
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung 55inch SmartTV strange artefact

that panel got a hit

Comment

That artifact is way too geometrical to be a panel hit. I would say toss up between tcon and main board.

Comment

well, two things. First, you will notice that you are on "page 2" on this particular setup (sorry my french ain't so good... :-) ). Without the actual model, one can make a guess at a "generic samsung setup". Anyways, looking thru a few videos, I see that the "triangle" is normal... :-) What isn't normal, is that there is no page number. The page number on the right top side should show up in the triangle. The right is kind of a "map" of your "browsing" while the left tells what you are currently looking at.

So your problem isn't the triangle, your problem is the display has a significant issue, possibly brightness / contrast settings. The videos that I saw showed a screen that was more "normal" in terms of "gray scale" like a normal picture "menu".

Based on this, my first guess is the "gamma chip" is "gone". So your "mission" is to find out if indeed there is a tcon board as then you will likely find the chip there... otherwise, you need to look at the main.
        Last edited by budwich; 01-02-2019, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Yes, as said, the problem is not always! Proof is another picture taken the same day, showing screen working without artefact..

Budwich I don't understand why you say the triangle is normal... but comparing the two pictures, I agree that it seems there is also a problem with the color/brightness.

So you are positive that it's a board problem, it cannot be the panel ? Could it simply be an issue with a connector or ribbon cable?

Edit: now after looking at some pictures on internet, I think there is no problem with color/gamma. For example, see this second picture, it shows the same kind of faded color when there is another overlay menu.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by guix; 01-02-2019, 06:47 PM.

Comment

OK... but without the model, I am just going by "random videos" on the net. Without a manual on how to "navigate" the tv, my guess IS really a guess.

You have pictures but not the model number?

further: its possibly that whom ever setup the set has chosen a different background / "wallpaper color" for the menu as opposed to "nothing" or "see thru", etc. The triangle seems to be "flip" from pictures that I saw on the net... it might be like a "cut out corner" as opposed to what you are seeing. Possibly this indicates a timing issue with the menu overlays. Don't know. Need a model number so one can look thru user guides and / or network videos on setups.
            Last edited by budwich; 01-02-2019, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Ok, so get the model number from the person, tv shutting itself off is often a mainboard issue/fault.

Comment

Working...
              X